Honored Contributor

"HOME BEFORE DARK" JEAN SIMMONS, EFREM ZIMBALIST JR. FRIDAY 11:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

11:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Home Before Dark"  Jean Simmons, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Rhonda Fleming, Dan O'Herlihy, Joanna Barnes, Mabel Albertson

(OK, this is late Friday night, but please record if it interests you-- it is well worth it!)

Probably my favorite Jean Simmons film.  She's an introspective New Englander, newly released back to her professor husband (Dan O'Herlihy) after a breakdown and stay at a mental health facility.  She had brooded on the possible attraction between her husband and her lovely step-sister (Rhonda Fleming).  When she returns, she must once again confront that suspicion, and adjust to the new boarder in their midst, another hunky professor, Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

Jean Simmons is perfect for this role-- it exploits that delicacy and uncertainty that underpins her actress's radiance.  She's one of those film beauties, I think, like Natalie Wood, (recently under discussion.)  They both have a wide streak of vulnerability that audiences sense and are drawn to, I think.

Also have to admit to adoring Efrem Zimbalist Jr.-- imagine having this throaty charmer for a downstairs boarder right in your very house, ha.  I love this scene between Simmons and Zimbalist, the subtext of sympathy and beginning rapport between them as they sip coffee down on the docks.  The scene is more important for what it doesn't say, than what it does.

Oh, what do you think of Simmons as a blonde?

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/387546/Home-Before-Dark-Movie-Clip-When-I-Was-Ill.html

Honored Contributor

Re: "HOME BEFORE DARK" JEAN SIMMONS, EFREM ZIMBALIST JR. FRIDAY 11:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I agree with your description of Jean Simmons.  I have seen this movie and it is a worth while watch!  I also prefer Jean with dark hair, just my opinion.  She has always been a favorite of mine and certainly one of the best in the category of movie star!!!!  She has class and comes across with natural acting ability and no matter what the role, she stood out.  

Honored Contributor

Re: "HOME BEFORE DARK" JEAN SIMMONS, EFREM ZIMBALIST JR. FRIDAY 11:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Agreed, @spiderw--  all things considered, Jean Simmons shines as a natural brunette.  She's sort of interesting as a blonde though, with the contrast of dark brows and eyes...

Both she and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. were nominated for Golden Globes for this movie.  It'd be great for fans like us if TCM would collect all her films together again in one long fest-- don't think they've done that in a while...

Honored Contributor

I've only seen Jean Simmons in bibical movies.peep.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Thank You. Have to search for California is much earlier but found it and it is now on record.

Honored Contributor

Oznell,

I would like a Jean Simmons film fest. 

While I favor her dramatic roles, I always enjoy her in Guys and Dolls.  Pairing her with Brando for some reason worked in that movie.  I guess when you are talented anything can work.  

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Oznell,

I would like a Jean Simmons film fest. 

While I favor her dramatic roles, I always enjoy her in Guys and Dolls.  Pairing her with Brando for some reason worked in that movie.  I guess when you are talented anything can work.  

Boy, did it work. Sister Sarah and Sky Masterson. I loved this movie.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmm, you guys have got me thinking, what would I put in a Jean Simmons film fest besides "Home Before Dark":

"Angel Face"--   She was cast against type as a sociopath, and was pitch-perfect in the role.

"Elmer Gantry"--    Terrific as an evangelist caught up with Burt Lancaster

"Young Bess"--  Gave one of the definitive performances as the young Elizabeth I

"Black Narcissus"--  She was exquisite as a beautiful young Indian coquette amongst nuns high in the Himalayas.

"Until They Sail"--  One of three sisters in a fascinating film set in New Zealand during World War II.

And ones I haven't seen but would like to:   Jean Simmons in Olivier's "Hamlet";  in "Footsteps in the Fog" (crime film); and "Life at the Top" (British "kitchen sink" drama with Laurence Harvey).

Trusted Contributor

This looks like one I might enjoy! I will record!

I enjoyed her in “Spartacus.” 

Honored Contributor

This one has been a fave of mine for the last 50 years!!