Honored Contributor

"HAMLET" LAURENCE OLIVIER JEAN SIMMONS SATURDAY 1:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

a43b99f431573a62fe827509a1c59fed.jpg

1:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Hamlet".   Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons, Basil Sydney, Eileen Herlie, Felix Aylmer, Stanley Holloway, Peter Cushing

It's an event when both "Hamlet" and Olivier collide on TCM!

Beloved and controversial adaptation of Shakespeare's original four hour play.  Olivier, who directed as well as acted, slashed the play by half, offending Shakespeare purists.  C'mon!   Even the Bard can be edited for most potent cinematic impact.

As always, whether he's playing a seedy, 20th century music hall performer in "The Entertainer",  or the canny but vaccillating Prince of Denmark, Olivier enthralls.  The story's quite simple in a way--  Son is appalled when his mother (Queen Gertrude) marries his father's brother within a month of his father's accidental death.  Except, it wasn't accidental.  And Hamlet goes ballistic, albeit poetically.  He pretends to go crazy, giving him time to figure things out, and plot his retribution.

Don't you find it slightly disorienting to see brunet Olivier and Simmons as blonds?  I always do, then I'm swept into the tale. 

Multiple awards for this one--  Best Actor for Olivier, Best in Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Picture.  Jean Simmons snagged a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her Ophelia.

Exquisite:

Love:  the scenes on the eerie battlements, the ghost sightings, Hamlet's searing scenes with his mother, Ophelia's haunting downward spiral.  I was shocked to just read that they actually filmed this at Elsinore!

A lot of the language is too fast or obscure to make sense to me in real time, but I just sort of let it flow over me and revel in the general movement of the play.

The Hartford Stage has put together a simple guide to "Hamlet".  Anyone like me who finds Shakespeare's language a bit daunting or obtuse, can read the short summary and be on top of all the action when it unfolds in the film!  Here it is:

https://www.hartfordstage.org/stagenotes/hamlet/synopsis 

Honored Contributor

Re: "HAMLET" LAURENCE OLIVIER JEAN SIMMONS SATURDAY 1:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Not a fan of Shakespeare but I am of those 2.  Hard to believe that Simmons never won an Oscar.  She was so good in so many movies including Guys and Dolls where she did her own singing, Young Bess, etc. etc.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the reminder @Oznell.

Again DH and I have no other plans 🙀

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's interesting, @kaydee50 --  I didn't realize Simmons had never won an Oscar.   Agreed, she was so good-- and versatile.  She's the kind of actress who's "grown" on me over time.  I think she's just devastating in "Angel Face", and admire her all the more because apparently it was a turbulent time with much difficulty thrown her way.  

Her almost-trademark, seeming "fragility" makes for a memorable Ophelia.  And I am usually just stunned by any performance Olivier turns in, and am not disappointed here...

Yeah, @OKPrincess ,  at least this trying experience is allowing people to stay at home and see some movies they might have missed when times were "busier"!  

Honored Contributor

Watching now-- oh, those misty, battlements at the top of the castle in "Hamlet".  Love it.  Love Olivier!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

I paused on TCM for a moment a few minutes ago and caught sight of Olivier as Hamlet, and all I could think of was, "Uh, no, I'm on existential angst overload as it is."  LOL   

Honored Contributor

Excellent movie!  Olivier is in his own category of acting, superb, magnificent and an all time best in the entertainment field.

I agree about Jean Simmons, she is a very talented actress and among the greats.

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @golding76 ,  except interestingly instead of depressing me further, watching it exhilarated me!  Something about the brilliance of the writing and the qualtiy of the acting spurred me along.  (Of course, I still have to hide my eyes during some parts, esp. poor Polonius's demise...)

That's so spot on, @spiderw -- he IS in a category all by himself!