Respected Contributor

"Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

[ Edited ]

This Netflix Original Film is an interesting bit of history; it takes place in 1946 re: a young writer in London who receives a letter from a resident of Guernsey re: a book that helped the residents of Guernsey during the German occupation of the Channel Islands in 1940. This wonderful film sheds light on the very real events in Guernsey during WWII.  I really enjoyed and highly recommend this film....

Regular Contributor

Re: "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

I read the book and loved it.  Was so surprised they made a movie of it.  It was released in the UK in April, so I don't know how Netflix got the rights to it.  I am sorry that it is only available through Netflix, I am not a fan since they have morphed.  Will have to wait and wait for it to come out on DVD, I guess.

Honored Contributor

Well, I don't know about Netflix, but we enjoy it. This movie was great!

Respected Contributor

@SewHappy2, I loved the book too, so I'm afraid to see it as a movie, It seems that I'm always disappointed/disgusted with movies made from books.

The last movie I saw taken from a beloved book was "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. It was so awful that I turned it off after a half an hour. Ugh!

A zillion years ago, I remember my mother saying that the only book that was ever successfully made into a movie was Gone With the Wind.

Geez, I suppose that I have to agree with her!

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

I didn't read the book, but saw the movie last weekend, and really enjoyed it.  Two of the characters were also in Downton Abbey.

Respected Contributor

I heard it’s really good!

Esteemed Contributor

Read the book, saw the movie; both very good!

Esteemed Contributor

@SewHappy2 wrote:

I read the book and loved it.  Was so surprised they made a movie of it.  It was released in the UK in April, so I don't know how Netflix got the rights to it.  I am sorry that it is only available through Netflix, I am not a fan since they have morphed.  Will have to wait and wait for it to come out on DVD, I guess.

@SewHappy2What do you mean by "morphed"?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I read the book a bit ago and loved it, did not know about the movie.

Sounds like it was good.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

Sabatini- You are right...books don't always translate well to movies.  I am such a fan of the period dramas that are popular now, so I am hoping that they have done the book justice.  

Sad that this was the only book by the author.