Honored Contributor

Re: "Grantchester" last night

@Fona  We have a number of PBS stations to choose from in my area but there's virtually nothing worth seeing on any of them these days and yes, lots and lots of shows they've shown numerous times already... The too often begging for donations might be a bit more tolerable were we seeing better programming but we're not...

I'll continue with Grantchester for now and, like you, find the new vicar likable if a bit less edgy, so far, anyway... Sidney simply ceased to be either likable or believable, drunk and with a different woman every week and then, after years of loving the same woman, he hot foots it off with a different one he's just met... It was contrived, and for obvious reasons...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Last night (7/12) was pretty ugly, IMO.  I was thinking early in the hour that I thought the whole boxing thing was unnecessary and contributed nothing.  Turns out I was wrong.

Hopefully that entire story line is over (except for Matt).

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I like Grantchester.  This season, I would agree, the mysteries are not as compelling.  I also enjoyed James Norton as Sydney Chambers over Tom Brittany as Will Davenport.  James Norton left because of other opportunities.  Basically it is up to the writers to keep the series compelling.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for Will or this season's story lines. I don't want what's meant to be a mystery to be about social issues. 

I don't care for Call the Midwife for that reason along with the whole pregnancy theme. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

I don't care for Will or this season's story lines. I don't want what's meant to be a mystery to be about social issues. 

I don't care for Call the Midwife for that reason along with the whole pregnancy theme. 

@occasionalrain  I tend to agree. When they take long successful shows and try to morph them into social commentary, I lose interest. When did TV become so preachy... Shows need not be so painfully 'relevant' to be entertaining and quite honestly, the entertainment value is so often lost when they become focused on 'issues'... I still like Grantchester, but less so, though it has little to do with any transition from Sidney to Will... Will's all right and Sidney more or less became somewhat hard to take...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...