Respected Contributor

Completely absorbed with "Grantchester"--except for Sidney's final episode, where he completely became quite repulsive,  I was really looking forward to viewing the start of season 5 last night.

However, I am sorry to report that it was very dull.

A couple of selling points remained in place, but most of the episode was an inane mystery about a murdered college girl. Very dated; very boring.

I want a quality story--don't waste your brilliant cast!

Contributor

Re: "Grantchester" last night

Very disappointed.  Sidney (James Norton)  and Gordy were perefect together.  I will miss watching Grandchester along with many other British shows.

Honored Contributor

I agree about the Grantchester episode being not up to par with the usual good story lines.  The cast is excellent and they need to perk up the stories and make them interesting which I hope will happen.  No matter what, I will continue to watch because it is still great TV in my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

I do hope they write better stories. I miss Sydney too. Hard to get used to a new person. 

Honored Contributor

I thought it was me

so boring,

trying to put the way we think today into to 50/60's England

but beautifully filmed, costumed and set

but I am out.

also filming at Cambridge, getting  a let's do a Morse/Endeavor thing 

Frequent Contributor

I was a faithful viewer since the beginning, but the last season, IMO, was so terrible that I decided I was finished! I thought the plots and characters got very odd. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have a problem with Sidney being gone (he was depicted as a fairly seedy character on his last show). I also really love the vicar who replaced him (can't think of his name right now, though).

I also love the story line involving Mrs. C. and the gay curate.

Honored Contributor

I haven't yet seen this season's first episode, so I'll have to reserve my judgement, so to speak. That said, maybe because I wasn't on board for the whole series, I didn't have a problem with the change in vicar and enjoyed the last few episodes of last season, which featured a different focus. I have watched the show long enough that I increasingly found Sidney sort of untenable and, of course, once they'd gone down that path with him, it would have been a challenge to make him likable again, even had the actor wanted to stay. I'll probably continue watching, but all things considered have found both PBS and Masterpiece offerings, overall, to be somewhat disappointing over the course of the last year. As for PBS, speaking locally, it really is time for them to retire certain programming and to buy some new programming.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

stevieb:  I so agree with you about PBS.  When I turn on my TV in the evening PBS is always the first place I look, but now I am very sick of the constant two-hour lectures we seem to be seeing every night.  At one time they would screen some good watchable programs, especially the great British shows, but very few of them are ever shown any more - and if so, they are reruns we have seen many times.  And let's not mention those asking-for-money segments that now seem to come along every few minutes and last forever.

I have donated for years but have recently stopped.  I'll start donating again when they change their programming.

As for Grantchester, I do like the show.  I never liked Sidney but I do like the new vicar.

Super Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I don't have a problem with Sidney being gone (he was depicted as a fairly seedy character on his last show). I also really love the vicar who replaced him (can't think of his name right now, though).

I also love the story line involving Mrs. C. and the gay curate.

I missed the last show so PLEASE give me a summary especially why you think Sidney was depicted as a fairly seedy character.  I developed a crush on him.....