Honored Contributor

Re: "Go Set a Watchman" was possibly a 1st manuscript for "To Kill a Mockingbird&amp

@lory wrote:

I thought the book was awful.  Dont waste any money on it...check it out at the library and dont be in a hurry to do it....thats how bad it is.

ITA.  I am just this morning re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird to help get Watchman out of my head.  Bad is bad and it does not matter which was written first. 

I did read my copy of Watchman from the library thank goodness!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Re: "Go Set a Watchman" was possibly a 1st manuscript for "To Kill a Mockingbird&amp

lory,

I couldn't agree with you more. I did not purchase it but borrowed it from my library and am so glad I saved my $$$$.  I thought it was just me, but I'm not enjoying this book at all.  I'm forcing myself to plow through it as I find it boring.  I find the writing to be poor...so unlike TKAM.  There is no character development and it's repetitive as far as the insults from Jean Louise to Hank and from Zandra to Jean Louise and Hank.  I very rarely abandon a book and will not abandon GSAW although I'm tempted.  Just not enjoying this at all.  So glad I didn't spend money on it.   docsgirl

Respected Contributor

Re: "Go Set a Watchman" was possibly a 1st manuscript for "To Kill a Mockingbird&quo

Watchman is pretty much an unedited script.  Regarding thinking of it as a sequel, since Atticus is fashioned around HL's father -  and he moved from pro-segregation to an opponent of segregation in that time period as many in the South did way back when,  i think AF's character in TKAM reflects an idealized end point of this conversion. no way Watchman is a sequel.

Frequent Contributor

Re: "Go Set a Watchman" was possibly a 1st manuscript for "To Kill a Mockingbird&quo

I just finished reading Go Set A Watchman, and found it a delightful read. Jean Louise has grown up and makes some enlightening discoveries as a 20-something young adult. I read To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time this summer. Granted, TKAM was the winner, hands down, but I sure enjoyed reading GSAW, too.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting this link.  I read GSAW so I could better understand all the discussion and controversies about the book and this article made the most sense to me of all that I have read. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just started the book last night, so I don't have any opinion yet.  I know there are many different thoughts and opinions on the book. 

I'm hoping I'll enjoy it, but if not, oh well, it's a library eBook on my Kindle. 

I did have one thought about the character Atticus. From reviews I read, apparently in this book he turns out to be a racist, which upset a lot of people because in TKAM he was a kindly, loving and wise gentleman. 

I think (and this is just my opinion) that the actor Gregory Peck had a lot to do with it. Who could ever think that Gregory Peck could be anything but a perfect human being, as he was in TKAM? I could be wrong, but this was my thought. 

I'll post when I'm done.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Got an e-mail from Amazon suggesting other books after reading Watchman. This wasn't on their list but I remember reading "Lay that Trumpet in our Hands" by McCarthy. It is about the civil rights movement especially in Florida. I just put a hold on it at my local library.