Honored Contributor

"Five Fingers"-- James Mason Spy Film Thursday 9:50 a.m. Eastern

Fox Movie Channel comes through once more.  Fascinating suspense film in which James Mason is a personal assistant in a British embassy in Turkey, who has turned spy for the Germans.  Has intriguing French actress, Danielle Darrieux.

I don't like to see James Mason as such a baddie, but he gives another one of his socko performances as this very ambiguous character in exotic circumstances...

What's with all these mysterious suspense movies being scheduled in the broad glare of the a.m.?  Both FXM and TCM love to do it, sigh.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Five Fingers"-- James Mason Spy Film Thursday 9:50 a.m. Eastern

My all time favorite James Mason movie.  Why?  Because this movie was the first time I ever heard or saw him.

I watched this movie w/my parents who were fans of movies w/WWII German officers. 

I was intrigued w/JM accent.

Best ending ever for a spy thriller movie.

Thanks for the heads up!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Ah, yes, @Mz iMac, that accent!  Many a movie fan has succumbed to those plummy tones!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Was it you who recommended Blue Gardina?  I just finished viewing it after recording earlier based on the review.  Adored this film noir with tons of atmosphere.  Raymond Burr and Ann Southern....terrific. Thanks for the recommendation.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd, it was.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Valued Contributor

Has anyone else watched Five Fingers? It sounds like a movie I would look. In looking it up on Comcast, Rotten Tomatoes (not that I trust everything they review) gave it a terrible rating.

Honored Contributor

Hi @QPrincess. There are several productions called "Five Fingers", one of which is a modern (2006) movie.  The one in this thread is a fairly well-regarded vintage film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewics (sp?).  I think it came out in the early Fifties.  So you might want to check the reviews to see if it's this one they are referring to.  Of course, they still might think this one is terrible, but it's probably worth checking...

Good luck!

Valued Contributor

@OznellBen from TCM is Joseph's great-nephew.

There are more Mankiewicz in the Biz so to speak.  One of them was a companion to Judy Garland.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for pointing that out, Lapdog.  Was it Herman Mankiewicz who had something to do with "Citizen Kane"?   I'm thinking he might have co-written it with director Orson Welles, but am a bit hazy about the particulars...   Gosh, what a talented family.