Honored Contributor

"FORCE OF EVIL" JOHN GARFELD BEATRICE PEARSON MIDNIGHT EASTERN TONITE AND 10:00 AM SUNDAY TCM

Midnight Eastern/10:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday--   "Force of Evil".   John Garfield,  Thomas Gomez,  Beatrice Pearson, Marie Windsor

forceevil4big.jpg

Fabulous vehicle for the ever-compelling John Garfield.  Directed by Abraham Polonsky, it's a brilliant, moody, noir-ish take on big city corruption, and the lures of temptation for an ambitious but mobbed-up young lawyer (Garfield), at odds with his brother (Thomas Gomez, in another wonderful perfomance), and loved by a girl who yearns to redeem him (the elusive, interesting Beatrice Pearson.) 

e9aYe86CttMkpf7oulEtMqmZjNy.jpg

A poetic script,  compelling characters and taut performances have made this a celebrated noir classic.  You can tell from the images here already that the cinematography is lyrically black and white;  the film also has the advantage of a score by the peerless, jazzy David Raksin ("The Big Combo").   All this, and magnificent, under-used noir fixture, Marie Windsor!

qzvt2.jpg

Be prepared for a wallop of a haunting finale.   All in all, a superb choice by Eddie for Noir Alley.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: "FORCE OF EVIL" JOHN GARFELD BEATRICE PEARSON MIDNIGHT EASTERN TONITE AND 10:00 AM SUN

[ Edited ]

I really like Marie Windsor, I always thought she could have been a bigger star but Hollywood shunned her for being "tall".  She was taller than a lot of leading men.

Therefore she was labeled "Queen of the B movies"

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: "FORCE OF EVIL" JOHN GARFELD BEATRICE PEARSON MIDNIGHT EASTERN TONITE AND 10:00 AM SUN

Oh, agreed, perceptive @Imaoldhippie!   Marie Windsor had everything-- she smoldered.   Some of the actresses that Hollywood considered "too tall",  wouldn't be considered that at all, among today's "Amazonian" types running around....

At least the film noir genre embraced her to a degree, so she definitely made her mark, but I too would have loved to see her in a wider diversity of roles....

Honored Contributor

As I like Montgomery Clift and James Dean, I like Garfield, the three passed at young ages but they were great actors.  From what I remember reading Garfield was caught up in the communist trials many entertainers testified at and ruined many careers.

I will watch this in the morning when it is repeated, thanks for the heads up, Oznell, this movie sounds like one I will enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

i never saw this movie but i like John Garfield as an actor and I love watching a good movie after breakfast!  Thank you for the review and movie recommendation!

Esteemed Contributor

Did not leave. have explained in Electronics...me, Internet.

Back when I can get  through. The other one did a few minutes ago through other forum..I think.

Myself:not here 10-8. Explained. HA, I think. 

Robot surprised

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Above. 

Honored Contributor

Roger, @NAES1.  Over and out!

Honored Contributor

OH MY! What a movie.

I had a bit of trouble following the plot at times. But then I noticed that John Garfield was wearing a light colored suit. So it was easy to pick him out in a scene. 

And I hang on every word that Eddie Muller says. And I figured out why he reminds me of Robert Osborne. Eddie Muller actually met and talked to many of the people who made film noir movies. He didn't hear stories second hand or read someone else's opinions. He heard the stories from the people that lived it, just like Robert Osborne.

Honored Contributor

Great insight, @drizzellla --  and like Robert Osborne, he feels it right down inside, the movies, the performers, that world.  He makes it urgently important.

The three of us are watching "Force of Evil" right now.  Have never quite understood the film either.  But it doesn't matter, ha.  Garfield-- I can never get over how good he is...