Honored Contributor

"FOLLOW ME QUIETLY" WILLIAM LUNDIGAN, DOROTHY PATRICK SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Midnight Eastern--  "Follow Me Quietly" William Lundigan, Dorothy Patrick, Jeff Corey

I kind of like that Eddie Muller has been dishing up some of the more obscure films noir for us this season.  A few have been duds, but this sounds potentially good.

It's described as a strange, obsessive suspense film in which police investigator William Lundigan (love him) is trying to track down an elusive serial killer, known as "the Judge".  The TCM clip shows it to be all dark and rain-bespattered, full of mystery and dread.  In the right mood, a perfect midnight movie in October!

Trusting you on this one, Eddie.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/12523/Follow-Me-Quietly-Original-Trailer-.html

Respected Contributor

Re: "FOLLOW ME QUIETLY" WILLIAM LUNDIGAN, DOROTHY PATRICK SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Thank you so much for sharing @Oznell You post some of the "BEST" overviews, updates, and reviews of movies on TCM.  I really appreciate your posts and look forward to the movies you share on this forum!

Honored Contributor

Re: "FOLLOW ME QUIETLY" WILLIAM LUNDIGAN, DOROTHY PATRICK SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Thank you @GAQShopr53, I appreciate your kind comment! 

Honored Contributor

I so enjoy all Eddie's "back story" that he gives on RKO studios, the internal politics, the meddling of Howard Hughes, etc.

This film is another example of one that isn't a film noir-- it's a crime film and just enjoyable on that level.  It did have noir elements, like the propensity to film at night, the great camera work, angles and shadows, the "wet streets" motif, etc. 

Disagree with Eddie about Lundigan.  Directors loved him for crime and noir pictures.  His all-American "normalcy", whether he played a good guy or a baddie, brought an interesting contrast and texture, to the dark material of the production, in my opinion....

Spoiler
I kept waiting for a big twist here, like either  fresh-faced William Lundigan or his hang-dog sidekick Jeff Corey would turn out to be the killer!  

Honored Contributor

Hi @Oznell

I caught the last half of this one Saturday night.  I wasn't in the mood for a serial killer.  At least during the last half, however, there was less focus on the odd-looking killer than on the glamorous reporter and the detective.  Nice ending - I didn't think it would be believable but it actually made some sense. 

I learned more (as usual) from Eddie's talk after the movie.  He explained he thought William Lundigan was too "normal" for noir, and that his voice (which apparently Lundigan put to great use for years after) was too smooth.  I can't recall the exact words Eddie used to explain.  Does anyone remember better?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, @GingerPeach, I took exception to what Eddie said about Lundigan in my post above, the one with the "spoiler alert" in it.  I don't think it was in the writing of this script for Lundigan to be a more complex, "obsessive" character than he was.  He's quite a good, journeyman actor, (not a mere cardboard pretty boy as Eddie might have implied, ha) and would have been up to that, if called for, I think.

My other favorite movies with him are the noirs "The House on Telegraph Hill" where he's a good guy and counterpoint to the devious Richard Basehart, and "Inferno", where he's that amoral schemer along with Rhonda Fleming...

Honored Contributor

It is funny - when you first mentioned William Lundigan was going to be on Film Noir movie on Saturday, I thought it was a different William Lundigan. But how many William Lundigans can there be?

I remember William Lundigan from Love Nest, with June Haver, Frank Fay (Barbara Stanwyck's Ex-husband), Marilyn Monroe and Jack Parr. He was quite a charming fellow.

I could not picture him in film noir. Guess it just shows what a versatile actor he was.

Honored Contributor

I don't recall having seen any other Lundigan movies, @Oznell.

On thinking this over, I am not sure I agree completely with Eddie's assessment of Lundigan in noir.  I think there is a place for "normal" (or whatever term Eddie used) in noir.  It may even make for a better picture if there is more contrast between characters.

Honored Contributor

And, @drizzellla and @GingerPeach, he was charming and light in "Love Nest", which you reference, a cute movie.

(Aside to @GingerPeach-- you must see "The House on Telegraph Hill", if you haven't already-- think you would like it.   After World War II, a displaced European woman comes to San Fran. and through a series of circumstances, ends up pretending to be a long-lost socialite returning to her wealthy family.  She's helps foil a murder in doing so, and Lundigan assists her...)

I used to confuse him a lot, by the way, with Dennis O'Keefe, and I think they both bring an interesting sort of dark/light quality to the varied roles they've played...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

I just placed "The House on Telegraph Hill" at the top of my Netflix queue.  Unfortunately, it's also telling me there's a very long wait.  

Looking forward to whenever it arrives.  (I only get DVDs.)

Thanks for the recommendation.  

I added "Love Nest" as well.  Apparently no wait time on that one.

I notice each is from 1951.