Respected Contributor

Re: "FLAMINGO ROAD" JOAN CRAWFORD, ZACHARY SCOTT FRIDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell wrote:

Yeah, @vsm , I think that would be the English-produced camp/horror classic, "Berserk!".    I think Joan was a crazed circus manager....

YES!  Absolutely awful movie.  Made me sad to see her in it.  Here's an interesting write-up on it:  https://www.irishnews.com/arts/2019/01/04/news/cult-movie-crazy-circus-flick-berserk-was-a-new-low-f...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

I've never seen this one but it certainly looks like an appetizing film.  Setting my recorder, thanks to you again.

ETA:  Oh no!  Your alert is two days old.

I'll have to wait for it to air again, but now I know the name.

Honored Contributor

at sharke (LOL)

that was Wendell Corey in Harriet Craig that she (JC) couldn't stand

I never liked him either

Honored Contributor

I didn't know either, @SharkE , since I've never seen "Harriet Craig".  Turns out it was Wendell Corey.  I wonder if he was one of the select number who didn't succumb to Joan's charms, ha.

That is an interesting piece, @vsm .  Agreed, It's a shame that both Joan and to some extent, Bette, resorted to such material late in their careers.  Weird that it has a 'cult' following!

@golding76,  I think Flamingo Road pops up fairly regularly-- will try to alert next time if I notice it.

Honored Contributor

beat you by a few seconds ! LOL

Loved that movie I think it mosts reflects the true character of Joan Crawford

Honored Contributor

Ha, we must have been writing at the same time, @SharkE!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I didn't know either, @SharkE , since I've never seen "Harriet Craig".  Turns out it was Wendell Corey.  I wonder if he was one of the select number who didn't succumb to Joan's charms, ha.

That is an interesting piece, @vsm .  Agreed, It's a shame that both Joan and to some extent, Bette, resorted to such material late in their careers.  Weird that it has a 'cult' following!

@golding76,  I think Flamingo Road pops up fairly regularly-- will try to alert next time if I notice it.

Oznell, try and watch Harriet Craig. I saw it for the first time when I was in my teens. It is one of those movies that really stuck in my head. I think is was the first Joan Crawford movie I ever saw, or ever remember seeing. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla    Watch 1936 movie called 'Craig's Wife' starring Rosalind Russell, Harriet Craig is the remake of this older movie. I think I got it have to check, if not, going to buy it. I've seen it, but, Russell can't hold a candle to JC LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@drizzellla    Watch 1936 movie called 'Craig's Wife' starring Rosalind Russell, Harriet Craig is the remake of this older movie. I think I got it have to check, if not, going to buy it. I've seen it, but, Russell can't hold a candle to JC LOL

Oh Yes!, I had made a point of watching Craig's Wife, just because of John Boles. But I had only watched it once. Yes, I would like to watch it again. 

Thank you so much for mentioning it. It has been a long time since I saw it and would like to watch it again. You are so right that Rosalind Russell was something to watch. Sadly she did not get a nomination for an Academy Award. There were no awards or nominations, even for author George Kelly, Grace Kelly's Uncle.

AND there was another version made in 1928 (silent) starring Irene Rich and Warner Baxter. 

Honored Contributor

I've got it on VHS tape ! LOL Can't find it on DVD at Amazon, deepdiscountdvd, or Edward Hamilton catalog.  We still got VHS players

started buying them up when we saw DVDs coming out. Sure hurt my

collection, though.