Honored Contributor

"FLAMINGO ROAD" JOAN CRAWFORD, ZACHARY SCOTT FRIDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

3:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Flamingo Road"  Joan Crawford, Zachary Scott, Sydney Greenstreet, Gladys George, David Brian, Virginia Huston

49flam13oct3.jpg

In a rags-to-riches role tailor-made for her,  Joan is a dancer who gets mixed up with various men in society and politics, but not before she makes a powerful enemy of corrupt law enforcement, in the ample form of Sydney Greenstreet.

This entertaining noir sudser, directed by the skillful Michael Curtiz, has my beloved Zachary Scott in it, along with lots of colorful histrionics.  Remember, he and Joan made (brief) sparks together in another classic noir, "Mildred Pierce", when he was wealthy, irresponsible "Monty Beragon".   (He's especially good in refined, skinny rich guy roles, a sort of a Franchot Tone with "oomph".....)

0760k48j34eye3.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: "FLAMINGO ROAD" JOAN CRAWFORD, ZACHARY SCOTT FRIDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Great show !  think those pics go with Mildred Pierce movie

Flamingo Road she was in a circus think it was

@Oznell 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, sharp-eyed @SharkE, you're right, the first one has to be from "Mildred" because of her demure little apron-thingy!  Funny, because it popped up in a bunch of images of "Flamingo Road", and I didn't catch it!

I think the description of her in "F.R." is that she's a "carnival dancer".....

Honored Contributor

Now we're firmly back in "Flamingo Road", ha.

ljT6z5WvhKUjUe1EQ1DfNQ4QSeD.jpg

Honored Contributor

Love me some Sydney Greenstreet.  Especially when he plays a corrupt politician or someone w/money backing his "puppet."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Yeah, he's the greatest, @Mz iMac -- made maximum impact in a relatively short film career.....

Honored Contributor

I may not be a college graduate (husband is LOL)  but, I know my fav subjects is old movies, English history, jewelry. LOL

My word they want 70 bucks now for a insur appraisal ! I found that out

today !  Now, I get to pay the premium to boot. Yikes !

Respected Contributor

@SharkENo circus in Flamingo Road -- circus was in another of her movies, when she was older.  Fogot the name...

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @vsm , I think that would be the English-produced camp/horror classic, "Berserk!".    I think Joan was a crazed circus manager....

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@SharkENo circus in Flamingo Road -- circus was in another of her movies, when she was older.  Forgot the name...

your so right ! I watched FR last night and there was the picture ! I think I got it mixed up with Greta Garbo movie seems like her or no telling who I'm thinking of was in a circus and ran away with some man. LOL

My apologies to Ms. Oznell.      Too many movies too little time. LOL

All I could think of while watching this movie last night was I know JC got friendly with David Brien (Brian)? not sure,but, probably,  Z. Scott I don't think she touched Sydney G. LOL   She worked all sides when she was in

her heyday.   ROFLMAO

She sure played a waitress a lot didn't she ? being she was in Mildred with Scott bet she had a romp with him, too. I've read 40 books on her, but, can't remember if they got along.   I still like Harriet Craig the best.

Here I go again. Ok, who was her husband in Harriet Craig? I remember reading she couldn't stand him, neither could I.   Frederic March ?