Honored Contributor

"FAST AND LOOSE" ROBERT MONTGOMERY, ROSALIND RUSSELL SUNDAY 4:30 A.M. TCM

4:30 a.m. Eastern--  "Fast and Loose"  Robert Montgomery, Rosalind Russell, Reginald Owen, Sidney Blackmer

Fun whodunnit in the wee hours to DVR.  Especially enjoyable for the presence of adorable, deft farceur Robert Montgomery, and equally adept Rosalind Russell, as rare book dealers to the country house set, who also happen to be talented sleuths, of course...

There were a series of "Fast" movies made, all with the rare book dealing couple hot on the trail of murders.  They were partially a response to the public's demand for more "Thin Man" movies--  fans felt that these weren't coming out fast enough!

It's true there is no combo quite comparable, and with the chemistry, of the fabulous William Powell and Myrna Loy.  That said, the "Fast...." films are watchable and fun on their own merits. 

Robert Montgomery gets to shine a bit more in this than our Roz.  He's such a talented light comedic actor in his own right.  (I like in his films to see how often I can see his daughter Elizabeth Montgomery in his very mobile features and expressions.  They both have a "fey" quality and souffle-like manner as performers...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCOzRAX73c

Trusted Contributor

Re: "FAST AND LOOSE" ROBERT MONTGOMERY, ROSALIND RUSSELL SUNDAY 4:30 A.M. TCM

@Oznell: I watched the YouTube previews. I don’t ever remember coming across this one. Really enjoy them both. We grew up on old movies...remember the afternoon movies on TV? We'd always watch them after school since our mother worked and we weren’t allowed to leave the house.

i am always so surprised to have missed anything I would have loved to see. Been watching and enjoying old films forever, it seems.

Honored Contributor

@OznellI know this post is kind of old but I just watched Night Must Fall from 1937 with Montgomery and Russell.  IMO, he is a much underrated actor.  He was great in this movie and RR did a super job as well.  Both of these actors, I think, were better known for more lighthearted roles but they both shine in this movie.  Highly recommend.

I note that RM was nominated for an Oscar for this role but lost out to Spencer Tracy in Captains Couragous. Too bad.  RM deserved it.

Honored Contributor

OOPPS!

I was all set to set the timer. Didn't want to miss the movie.

Honored Contributor

Ooh, @kaydee50,  I so agree with you!   "Night Must Fall" is a wonderful character study, and both Montgomery and Russell are terrific in it.  He's sly and confoundingly ambiguous in the role, and you can see why Roz is sort of confused and at sea.... 

Shivery suspense.