Honored Contributor

"DR. KILDARE" WEDNESDAY 10:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

tumblr_mzrjelU8sc1qd3nk9o1_1280.png

10:30 a.m. Eastern-  "Dr. Kildare's Wedding Day"  Lew Ayres, Lionel Barrymore, Laraine Day, Red Skelton, Fay Holden

With this one, TCM's launching a slew of the "Dr. Kildare" movies all day Wednesday, a fun medical series by Warner Brothers.  The public loved the warm, mentoring relationship between crusty, disabled Dr. Gillespie, (Lionel Barrymore) and his impetuous young protege, Dr. Kildare (Lew Ayres).

I'm surprised they are showing the films out-of-order, with one of the last ones, first.  And it's a rather hard hitting, bittersweet one, at that.  But I think this series, apart from its sheer entertainment value, is a rather rich and revealing glimpse into twentieth century pre-war America, and of course, the Warner's cast is top notch.   Well worth it.

Valued Contributor

Re: "DR. KILDARE" WEDNESDAY 10:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Thanks, @Oznell!  I really enjoy Dr. Kildare movies, and I'll be setting the DVR.  They can be a little sappy, but I don't miss them when they're on.  I also like listening to the old radio shows of Dr. Kildare. Radio shows were a little before my time, but now I listen to them a lot. 

Lionel Barrymore is just the best. He was great in "The Devil Doll."  And everything else he was in. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ruby Laine   I haven't seen any of the Dr. Kildare movies but I completely agree about Barrymore.  IMO, a better actor than his brother, John.  As for example, in Grand Hotel.

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50, I forgot about Grand Hotel. I haven't seen that one in years, but I think I liked it. Both brothers were in that, weren't they, and it's a real oldie. I'll have to go look that one up. 

Honored Contributor

iRe: "DR. KILDARE" WEDNESDAY 10:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

I remember the TV series with Richard Chamberlain.  Man did I have a crush on him.  

Valued Contributor

Re: iRe: "DR. KILDARE" WEDNESDAY 10:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@rms1954  Me,too. I had a Dr. Kildare looseleaf binder in 4 th grade. He was so handsome.

Honored Contributor

Not sure why I do this BUT I try and watch any Lew Ayres movie. Just because he was married to Ginger Rogers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

@rms1954  Me,too. I had a Dr. Kildare looseleaf binder in 4 th grade. He was so handsome.

@Zaimee - I had that Dr. Kildare binder too!    I saw him in person in the late '80s and he was still very handsome!

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Not sure why I do this BUT I try and watch any Lew Ayres movie. Just because he was married to Ginger Rogers.

@drizzellla  - I didn't know he was married to her.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I remember the TV series with Richard Chamberlain.  Man did I have a crush on him.  

@rms1954 ME TOO !!!   I wish all these movies were with Richsrd Chamberlin , but he would have been too young.    I do beileve he sang the theme song in the series "three stars will shine tonight" i didn't see it when it was originally on air ,  but years later ,  my mom watched it though .