Respected Contributor

Re: "DIAL 'M' FOR MURDER GRACE KELLY RAY MILLAND FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Thanks - I'll definitely watch - it's one of my faves.

Have (any of) you seen the remake - A Perfect Murder - with Michael Douglas, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Viggo Mortensen?  It's excellent too.  

Super Contributor

Thank you.  One of my all-time favorites.  Don't know how many times I've seen this and will watch again.  Love most of Hitchcock's movies, but this is my favorite.  Would have missed it if not for your post.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

I have, @FranandZoe--  a stylish thriller.

Honored Contributor

Love,love, Perfect Murder.

That's not happiness to see me.

Honored Contributor

This thread triggered me to read more about Bob Cummings.  I also remember him from his tv days, probably more than his movies.  I remember, too, that he was proponent of health food.  After reading the Wikipedia entry, I was surprised to find that all the while he was in favor of a a healthy lifestyle, he was also a meth addict for many of his later years. 

The Wikipedia entry, however, begins the story of his career detailing the charming story of how he posed himself in front of an English theater using a made-up name and sending the resulting photos to 80 theatrical agents in the US.  That all gained him several interviews and his start in the business.

Thanks again, @Oznell 

Related image

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@Somertime Oh, be still my heart...Notorious is soooo suspenseful! I remember that wine cellar scene...I was on the edge of my seat. And, that scene in which the key was hidden in Ingrid Bergman's hand. So scary! Thank you for reminding me about this fantastic movie.
I never liked Dial M for Murder because it always felt so claustrophobic and slow, primarily all set in that one flat. That is always a problem with movies based on plays. I also never believed Grace K. would cheat on Ray Milliand with Robert Cummings! I think Cummings was a poor casting choice, although I loved him in other roles.
I now have to find The Uninvited...thanks for the recommendation, posters!
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach Bob Cummings was a meth addict? I must Google him immediately! He always seemed so lighthearted and charming...I didn't know he was struggling with personal demons.
Honored Contributor

Every time I've ever seen this film, starting with when I was a teenager (or maybe pre-teen), I wondered why Grace had ever married Ray M. in the first place.  He seemed much older and they had zero chemistry as a couple -- a big fat zero!  

I distinctly remember the first time I saw it how awful I thought Ray M.'s character was - I remember being appalled!  LOL

Loved the detective on the case, and the clever ending involving a key.

It was one of my dad's favorite films and we watched it together every time it was on TV in the 60's, which was often.  I have fond memories of watching the film with my dad who is long gone,  so I'll do so again this evening.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of this film, has anyone else seen A Perfect Murder, its updated remake with Gwyneth Paltrow in the Kelly role and Michael Douglas in the Millard role?  Viggo Mortensen was in the Robert Cummings role (and had a much bigger part than Cummings).  The detective paled in comparison to the Englishman in the role in the Hitchcock version.

I thought it was a decent film but not nearly as good as the original, and I was not impressed with Paltrow's acting ability, or rather lack thereof.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee...what a loving memory you had, sharing this movie with your Dad.❤
I am just learning from the above posts that A Perfect Murder was a REMAKE of Dial M For Murder...I have seen them both, but I never knew that connection.
I can vividly remember their stunning modern apartment in A Perfect Murder way more than I can remember Gywneth's acting in that movie!
Do you remember there was a lot of hoopla over Michael Douglas being much, much older than Gywneth in that movie...he appeared to be more of a controlling father than her husband.
Does anyone know where Hitchcock's cameo appears in Dial M for Murder? I always enjoy trying to spot those.