Honored Contributor

"DEAD RECKONING" HUMPHREY BOGART, LIZABETH SCOTT SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. TCM

Midnight Eastern Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m. Eastern:  "Dead Reckoning"   Humphrey Bogart, Lizabeth Scott, Morris Carnovsky, Wallace Ford

Very atmospheric film noir for Bogey and Scott.  Told partly in flashbacks, and with an enigmatic femme fatale, it is somewhat reminiscent of "Out of the Past".

Bogart and his paratrooper buddy are scheduled for awards following their valorous service in World War II.  But Bogey's friend disappears and Bogey goes to his colleague's hometown, steamy, (fictional) "Gulf City" to unwind the mystery.  Stunning ex-nightclub singer Lizabeth Scott seems to hold the key to his pal's disappearance, as do other habitues of the nightclub world and the seductive, tropical city....

The setting and the characters are almost dream-like, and we get drawn in the way Bogey does.  He's very sharp and resourceful in this.  Lizabeth Scott has never been more beautiful.  Have you noticed how well the petite actress wears clothes on camera?

Even just a casually tied scarf is a great look on the likes of her!

But I digress.  This is an engrossing Saturday night suspenser, with spiffy dialogue, romance, twists, and period eye candy in the form of sets and costumes.  Eddie picked a goodie for this week's "Noir Alley".

Honored Contributor

Re: "DEAD RECKONING" HUMPHREY BOGART, LIZABETH SCOTT SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDA

[ Edited ]

And here it streams free online for those who don't get TCM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4dj8MIZiM

Frequent Contributor

Re: "DEAD RECKONING" HUMPHREY BOGART, LIZABETH SCOTT SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDA

Liked her in "Strange Love of Martha Ivers" also. Thanks for the heads up.

Honored Contributor

@catsgalore5354,  "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" is one of my three fave films with Lizabeth Scott.  The others are this one, "Dead Reckoning",  and  "Pitfall", a terrific noir with    D i c k Powell,  where she plays a bruised, naive model who gets mixed up in a dangerous love triangle...

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

This is a can’t miss movie. Plot, writing acting, mood and style.  Lizabeth Scott is always a treat. 

I admit I sometimes get distracted with the fashions and sets in period movies!  

Honored Contributor

Worthwhile movie to watch for sure!  Lizbeth Scott was a beautiful woman and great actress.  Of course Bogie did it all and I am a fan of his movies and acting.  Yes, the settings are so well done, you feel like you are in that era.  As I mentioned in another forum, settings are essential to the movie, they make it so realistic and you feel as though you are in the moment of that time.  I always love the night club scenes and how everyone dressed up in such lovely outfits.  

By the way Oznell, I not too long ago finally saw and heard Eddie.  I can see the appeal, he is one classy handsome man!!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@trenet, so true, that's what I love about multiple viewings (of the really good movies).  You get to pay closer attention to the things you might have missed the first time around, like details of clothing or interiors that bring total delight!

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @spiderw, TCM finally landed someone of the caliber of the sainted (ha) Robert Osborne when they got Eddie!  He has the real passion for film, not the "pro forma" handling of a mere careerist or somebody who's just glad to have a job.  He goes into depth, and takes the trouble to know all the background of classic film, and accept it on its own terms...

His fabulously knowledgeable and entertaining books and periodical film noir publications are what first tipped me off to how good he is.  Highly recommend his books!

Honored Contributor

Oznell, you know him well!!!!  I think he would be very flattered by your description of him!  I will look into his books which sound interesting and enjoyable. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Speaking of Eddie Muller, he just answered a long-standing question I had!  (It's early Sunday morning, and I often have time before dashing to church to play just the intro to Noir Alley that I DVR'd the night before.)

Anyway, he said "Gulf City" was in actuality parts of St. Petersburg, Fla.  My best guess, prior to this, was that Gulf City was really Tampa, based on a few clues.  I knew it wasn't New Orleans, nor definitely not Mobile, and that narrows it down since there aren't that many other places on the Gulf it could have been...

(Just the musings of a movie and geography nerd...)