Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: "DEAD RECKONING" HUMPHREY BOGART, LIZABETH SCOTT SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDA

Finally watched this. First of all, I love the title. Bogie was so good-this was after Casablanca. Another Rick, lol. (I'll take him).

The plot seemed so familiar. We knew of course that Liz was a user. Poor Bogie-duped but not enitirely! Very interesting how the plot unfolded. I can't help thinking of the song lyrics, 'It seems to me I've heard this song before.' The movie theme seemed so familiar. It's been done a lot but it's fun going thru the motions. 

The one dress she wore-the white number with the sequined sleeves! Stunning! 

The way she put away those cigarettes I had to look her up and see what she died of-congestive heart failure at 92. She died in 2015!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: "DEAD RECKONING" HUMPHREY BOGART, LIZABETH SCOTT SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDA

Now that you mentioned it - I do remember Lizabeth Scott mentioned when she died. It might have been the TCM Remembers. They show a picture of many people in the film industry who died during that year.

It is interesting to watch all the smoking that went on in the old movies. 

Honored Contributor

I also didn't realize she died that recently, @Judaline and @drizzellla.  Such a glamour girl in her day!   But a tumultuous life.

I read somewhere that her nickname when she hit big was "The Threat",  b/c the studio wanted her to be the next Bacall...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I also didn't realize she died that recently, @Judaline and @drizzellla.  Such a glamour girl in her day!   But a tumultuous life.

I read somewhere that her nickname when she hit big was "The Threat",  b/c the studio wanted her to be the next Bacall...

I just said to DH watching this that she has a Bacall-ness about her. LB was a tough act to follow. The one I recall reminding me most of her was Charlotte Rampling. (in her day)

Image result for charlotte rampling

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Speaking of Eddie Muller, he just answered a long-standing question I had!  (It's early Sunday morning, and I often have time before dashing to church to play just the intro to Noir Alley that I DVR'd the night before.)

Anyway, he said "Gulf City" was in actuality parts of St. Petersburg, Fla.  My best guess, prior to this, was that Gulf City was really Tampa, based on a few clues.  I knew it wasn't New Orleans, nor definitely not Mobile, and that narrows it down since there aren't that many other places on the Gulf it could have been...

(Just the musings of a movie and geography nerd...)

Hi @Oznell 

I just happened to be looking at amazon viewer's reviews of this movie and one of them confirmed St. Petersburg. Here's an excerpt from that review by someone posting as "chergui": 

"This is a great film noir genre piece starring Humphrey Bogart and Lizabeth Scott. A great film noir duo with class. If you love the South, you'll enjoy this movie as 2 of the shooting locations were in Biloxi, Mississippi, and St. Petersburg, Florida.

Geography was my major in college, wouldn't you know? Woman Very Happy

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I definitely see Charlotte Rampling in the Bacall/Lizabeth Scott "feline" mode...

@GingerPeach, good to know!