Honored Contributor

"DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES" JACK LEMMON, LEE REMICK SUNDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

20017_1.jpg

11:15 a.m. Eastern-- "Days of Wine and Roses".  Jack Lemmon, Lee Remick, Charles Bickford, Jack Klugman

Hard-hitting Sixties' portrayal of the descent into alcoholism by an attractive, seemingly "golden" young couple.  Both Lemmon and Remick go deep inside their characters' sadness and losses, and both were nominated for Oscars, while the film's haunting Henry Mancini/Johnny Mercer title song, "Days of Wine and Roses" did win an Oscar.

The film served a far-reaching social purpose as it has been credited with familiarizing the public with the life-saving work of the self-help organization Alcoholics Anonymous.  After its release, both director Blake Edwards and actor Jack Lemmon disclosed their substance abuse problems, further hoping to reach others in need of help.

Adorable Andy Williams sings "The Days of Wine and Roses":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB0GkgHpJLY

This film makes an excellent "midcentury modern" double feature when paired with courtroom drama "12 Angry Men" which immediately follows it at 1:30 p.m. Eastern on TCM.

Edited to correct the name of the film-- it seems to be "Days of Wine and Roses" not "The Days of Wine and Roses".   But a quick search of the song has it listed both ways, sigh. The confusion may come from the fact that the first line of the song does use "The".  Oh, well!

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES" JACK LEMMON, LEE REMICK SUNDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

I only saw it once, long ago.  It was very good, and so sad.

Lee Remick was wonderful in it...and so very beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Re: "DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES" JACK LEMMON, LEE REMICK SUNDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Agreed, @alicedee -- she was lovely.  Lee Remick was so good in roles where she exposed a certain vulnerability-- she gives a harrowing and unflinching performance in this.

Honored Contributor

Re: "DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES" JACK LEMMON, LEE REMICK SUNDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

A beautiful woman who died way too young at 55.  

I've only seen that movie once but I only remember being depressed by it:/

Oh God is on right now.  I had forgotten that John Denver was in it -- so young and earnest looking.  

Honored Contributor

ReDAYS OF WINE AND ROSES" JACK LEMMON, LEE REMICK SUNDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

This movie is one of my favorites in this genre.  When I first saw Wine and Roses in the movies I was very taken by it.  Lemmon and Remick were excellent in their roles as alcoholics and the movie made an impact on me.  While a tragic story line for the most part, it was realistic to those who knew people in these situations. 

I saw that it was coming on TCM and taped it   I have seen it many times but always admire the excellent performances of two greats, Lemmon and Remick.  They deserved accolades for their fine acting.

Twelve Angry Men, another classic great you never tire of watching.  What a group of terrific actors who made up that cast, I always liked Lee J. Cobb, quite a presence on screen.

Respected Contributor

Re: ReDAYS OF WINE AND ROSES" JACK LEMMON, LEE REMICK SUNDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

A good movie which shows up on every "depressing films" list lol.

What I remember most about it was how he, already an alcoholic when he met Lee Remick's character, was the one who enticed her, a teetotaler, to drink. Then when he finally got sober, she couldn't quit.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

Heart  

Hello, hello Oznell,  Woman Happy

To this day, I have always said - THE Days of Wine ...........

I just showed up minutes ago to do a belated reply when I saw this, ...and... oh,  how keen and strong with emotions.

I was youngER. First time I knew of Lee Remick.

{ My best neighborhood female friend had free tickets}. 

At that very young age, I definitely could not embrace the consequences when that young, but later learned later in life ..............as i.e., [ addiction ] was a real beast.

Everything was quite foggy then, although I sensed a lot of mental pain. In short, the movie was too advanced for me to understand how to take all of this to heart. 

My girlfriend's sister's husband was, as I understood, (as she expalined) a military man, he apparently did drink early.             The entire family was either physicians, dentists or somewhat related to the medical profession, and brother-in-law was defined as the black sheep not contributing to their family legacy of the medical profession.

I understood very little of the movie, then, ...also.

BUT! thought through movie-

Stress? 

Not belonging? 

Lonely? 

Unhappy? 

Pain from his disability? 

Trusting someone else? 

No,

Lemmon should have never postioned her into his life what could be dangerous in his world with a woman of such innocence. She must have been so very far from being plain ol' street smart.

Her father protected her so well after the mother died.

Also, I felt that she was old enough not to slither through the cracks. I never understood that.

-- He was a great convincing salesman.--

Very powerful storyline that I thought how / could anyone  is a breath away - to - becoming, or having an addiction if the hereditary trait is there. 

"....she did tell me that after brother-in-law had seen the movie, he stopped drinking ...how true that was, I had no idea".

Brother-in-law died early in late thirties from muscular dystrophy. Did the abuse of alcohol cause, contribute? 

I'll never know that answer. 

I never knew of anyone in our family (as close as I was to everyone) that had any dependency for alcohol. 

I was like a little girl - knowing anything of people- that drank for recreation. But, I knew what was or could be dangerous.

Several years later, I had seen this movie through the years, but not more than three times. 

Again,

I always thought the movie title should have begun with THE, and if referring, still, I will say

` The ` Days of.......... 

' never thought that much into it ~ Woman Surprised        ____________ yes, oh well. 

@Oznell 

Smiley Happy

appears like a new month -oh well, Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I love this movie....even though I think it is very sad...

So much better than watching a movie full of CG!!

You actaully feel like you know the characters...

Honored Contributor

Powerful story-telling indeed, @NAES1 .  I love to think people have been helped by this film, as one who has worked with people with addictions...  the story has a potent message.

It's interesting to see how different musicians approach the "Days of Wine and Roses" song.  For jazz lovers, here's an instrumental by Dexter Gordon, to go along with Andy Williams ballad-like version posted above!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgVUGzrzJ20

Honored Contributor

Re: ReDAYS OF WINE AND ROSES" JACK LEMMON, LEE REMICK SUNDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Moonlady wrote:

A good movie which shows up on every "depressing films" list lol.

What I remember most about it was how he, already an alcoholic when he met Lee Remick's character, was the one who enticed her, a teetotaler, to drink. Then when he finally got sober, she couldn't quit.

@Moonlady 

All it took was a Brandy Alexander...

Great film.  Wish I could watch it again but I have Comcast. Woman Mad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~