Honored Contributor

"CORNERED" D I C K POWELL MIDNIGHT EASTERN TONIGHT AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

tumblr_nidag7d5cJ1r37w3co1_1280.jpg

Midnight Eastern and 10:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday--  "Cornered".  D i c k Powell, Walter Slezak, Micheline Cheirel, Nina Vale, Morris Carnovsky, Steven Geray, Luther Adler

Good for Eddie M. for racking up this Edward Dmytryk-directed ("Crossfire", "Murder, My Sweet", "The Caine Mutiny") suspenser for "Noir Alley".   D i c k Powell is an ex-World War II flier who is obsessed with finding the Nazi cabal killers of his underground French Resistance wife.  He tracks them to Buenos Aires, where he enters a glittering but odd social circle of expats and would-be femmes fatales... 

I love 'boy singer' D i c k Powell's postwar reincarnation as a cynical antihero, and here he's in single-minded, deductive overdrive.  He gets less than overwhelming support from some of the cast, but others, like the always reliable Slezak, are excellent. But if you're a Powell fan like I am, he really 'makes' the movie, aided by Dmytryk's gliding direction.

Honored Contributor

Re: "CORNERED" D I C K POWELL MIDNIGHT EASTERN TONIGHT AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

It's funny, I am watching Casablanca for the umpteenth time, never tire of it, and thought I would check out the forums to see if you had a  movie recommendation for midnight!  

I haven't seen this movie and it sounds like a good one as per your description.  I tool like ****** Powell but have to say I am not as familiar with his films as other actors.  My DVR is set. I 

I am  Back to Casablanca, so many great lines in this movie! My most favorite scene is when they are all at Rick;s and the Germans burst into song. Rick nods and Paul Henreid loudly and with passion drowns them out with the French National anthem.  Chills and goose bumps every time!  

Sorry to go off the subject but I know you can relate.

Honored Contributor

Re: "CORNERED" D I C K POWELL MIDNIGHT EASTERN TONIGHT AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh, can I ever, @spiderw -- one of the most electrifying 'group' scenes ever.  That whole film came together in an almost miraculous way... 

"Cornered" is an excellent choice for 'Noir Alley'--  it's a bit convoluted, but I just go with it, and let myself be carried along by Powell's burning indignation and passion to find the truth...  A "questing" film--  in an odd way, reminds me of "D.O.A",  because of that, and because of the baffling "house of mirrors" opacity...   

Honored Contributor

I did start to watch Cornered but only the very beginning as my tired eyes needed to rest!  I was drawn in from the little I saw and will definitely finish the rest of the movie today.  Powell's acting makes you want to know what happened.