Honored Contributor

Re: "CLASH BY NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, ROBERT RYAN TONIGHT 12:30 A.M. & SUNDAY 10:00 A

Agreed on both counts, @TexasMom1 --  I love your taste in vintage films and actors.  Paul Douglas is such a sensitive player, with a bedrock honesty to his acting.  It was interesting when Eddie said he was devastated when Broderick Crawford got the film role in "Born Yesterday"....

Oh, yeah, the inimitable Stanwyck "makes" Big Valley for me!   Of course, the likes of Peter Breck, Richard Long et al don't hurt either!

Honored Contributor

Re: "CLASH BY NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, ROBERT RYAN TONIGHT 12:30 A.M. & SUNDAY 10:00 A

@Oznell wrote:

Agreed on both counts, @TexasMom1 --  I love your taste in vintage films and actors.  Paul Douglas is such a sensitive player, with a bedrock honesty to his acting.  It was interesting when Eddie said he was devastated when Broderick Crawford got the film role in "Born Yesterday"....

Oh, yeah, the inimitable Stanwyck "makes" Big Valley for me!   Of course, the likes of Peter Breck, Richard Long et al don't hurt either!

I had seen the movie "Clash by Night" several times previously. So I didn't watch it. But what was I thinking. I missed Eddie Muller's introduction. Thanks for mentioning Eddie Muller's comments.

So glad I checked out what Eddie Muller had to say, before and after the movie. I always learn so much.

Honored Contributor

Anything Stanwyck does is a sure win, she was one of the best actresses of her time and still holds that crown!  The cast in the movie is perfect in their roles.  It wasn't the best movie but it held my interest because every one in it kept me focused.  Good one!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

Once more I have you to thank for steering me to an outstanding film that I have ignored for nearly six decades.  No, I held no opinion of Clash by Night but, despite having read about it innumerable times throughout my life, I never took the time to watch it.

Oh brother, that film was a genuine punch in the gut of life.  That Stanwyck, that Paul Douglas -- my but they displayed some exquisite acting in this film.  They gave a master class in proletariat tragedy.  Robert Ryan was okay but not convincingly poignant, in my humble opinion.

Thank you so much!

[ETA: I mean no disrespect to Ryan's acting chops in this film, but I seem to prefer him more in decent-guy roles than those that cast him as a menacing presence.  How adored him in About Mrs. Leslie.]