Honored Contributor

"CLASH BY NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, ROBERT RYAN TONIGHT 12:30 A.M. & SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Half past midnight and 10:00 a.m. Eastern, Sunday--   "Clash by Night"--  Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Ryan, Paul Douglas, Marilyn Monroe, Keith Andes, Silvio Minciotti, J. Carroll Naish

Yay,  Eddie Muller secured a real heavy weight for Noir Alley this weekend, the Fritz Lang-directed "Clash by Night".   Wow, not only Stanwyck, but my favorite director, Fritz Lang, and powerhouse Robert Ryan to boot!

Here's the little summary of it I wrote when it was on before:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/TV-and-Movies/BARBARA-STANWYCK-FESTIVAL-MONDAY-TCM/m-p/4784251#M280128

I'm a die-hard Stanwyck fan, of course.  Love her, love everything she's ever done. She is scorching and devastating as the embittered, bruised "prodigal", returning to her home town of Monterey, and her brother, to regroup.  Of course she meets nihilistic Robert Ryan, and OF COURSE there are sparks, ha.  Paul Douglas loves her too...

Adapted from a Clifford Odets work, this starts out as a bleak noir, but there is hope in this one (which makes all the angst bearable, for me at least.).    It's fun to see Marilyn in one of her early roles.

The whole thing has a moody, midnight feeling, perfect for Noir Alley!

Lang_Clash-by-Night_1952_001_1200.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "CLASH BY NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, ROBERT RYAN TONIGHT 12:30 A.M. & SUNDAY 10:00 A

INCREDIBLE - I just turned on to TCM and Darn - Comcast took it away from us..... I could just SCREAM.......

Has anyone else noticed that they don't have it??  I only go to it when I see this thread, so I can record my favorite movies.  Well no more..... I guess we'll have to do something about it.... Hubby noticed online many posts from people complaining about it - so there will be a call to Comcast post haste......

Thanks for the post Oznell - otherwise I never would have noticed it until heaven knows when.....  It was replaced by "sports and entertainment" - whatever that means.....

Honored Contributor

Re: "CLASH BY NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, ROBERT RYAN TONIGHT 12:30 A.M. & SUNDAY 10:00 A

Such a bummer, @sophiamarie --  they are really alienating customers with this move, for sure.  Hoping you get it resolved to your satisfaction...

Honored Contributor

Here's Stanwyck and Ryan,  "clashing" ,  and then memorably sizzling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHWLoCYMdY

Respected Contributor

I noticed it just now and called. Was told that it's not watched enough so they changed the package. I talked to Solutions six weeks ago trying to get a lower price for cable and was told the package they gave me would last a year.

Solutions is what you call when you threaten to leave. I was told to call tomorrow. I get Netflix and Amazon Prime. I can live without TCM. Glad I taped a lot of movies.

The other poster in my situation: where did your husband see complaints online?

Honored Contributor

@lavendar, if you would, keep us posted with what you find out with Solutions.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Ha, I forgot all the fun, world-weary quotes with which "Clash by Night" is replete.

A glamorously disillusioned Barbara Stanwyck, sipping coffee dispiritedly, and musing:

"Home is where you come to, when you run out of places".

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I love this movie! I've seen it several times, and that only makes me love it more. Eddie's introduction was perfect. He was right when he said that Barbara was the most talented actress of her time.

Honored Contributor

Oh, agreed, @Desert Lily!

Trusted Contributor

Don't forget Paul Douglas in this one either! He is a wonderful actor as well. I loved him in the movie "Letter To Three Wives" with Jeanne Crain, Ann Sothern and Linda Darnell, along with Kirk Douglas in a good supporting low keyed role. 

I even find myself watching "The Big Valley" when I can find it if Barbara Stanwyck is in a particular episode!