Honored Contributor

"CITIZEN KANE" ORSON WELLES, JOSEPH COTTEN MIDNIGHT EASTERN THURSDAY TCM

Midnight Eastern-- "Citizen Kane".   Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Ruth Warrick, Dorothy Comingore, Agnes Moorehead, Ray Collins

Hey, I like that TCM is doing one of their midnight showings tonight of an undisputably compelling ground-breaker.  I happen to be always more viscerally drawn to Welles' maimed masterpiece "The Magnificent Ambersons",  but the pairing of midnight and the dark brilliance of "Kane" is perfect.  And if you're still up doing frantic pre-Thanksgiving things, all to the better....

resized_272427-flashback-0323_74-24417_t800.jpg

The story of how Kane rises to power and prominence is a familiar one, but that early scene of the little boy Kane, playing in the snow outside the cabin where adults are deciding his fate, is so shattering and resonant. Orson Welles as a director, and  Agnes Moorehead in the small role of Kane's sacrificial mother, earned their keep just in that scene alone!

"Rosebud".

Honored Contributor

Re: "CITIZEN KANE" ORSON WELLES, JOSEPH COTTEN MIDNIGHT EASTERN THURSDAY TCM

[ Edited ]

"Rosebud" and the snow globe.  Woman Sad

What an ending-his emotional life comes full circle.

Great movie!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Oh, that snow globe-- had forgotten that, @Cakers3..   A wonderful image, among many!

Respected Contributor

I remember seeing this in my late teens...it was the first time I ever really noticed and appreciated the artistry in a movie, especially the use of darkness and light.  It's a fabulous movie!

Honored Contributor

That's cool that even in your teens you were picking up on the difference between merely "enjoyable" films, and the relatively few ones touched with greatness, @alicedee..  I so agree about the importance of darkness, light and shadow in "Kane"!

Honored Contributor

Anyone who knows me knows that I think Orson Welles was a genius. I can’t even imagine some of his films in color. His use of light and shadow is amazing.
He’s near the top of the list of people I wish I could have dinner with. I think I like complicated men. 😉😂