Honored Contributor

"CHINATOWN" JACK NICHOLSON MIDNIGHT EASTERN SATURDAY TCM

Picture-16.png

12:00 Eastern A.M. (wee hours Saturday morning)  --  "Chinatown"--    Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston, Perry Lopez, John Hillerman, Darrell Zwerling, Diane Ladd, Roy Jenson, James Hong, Beulah Quo, Jerry Fujikawa, Roy Roberts

The ever-haunting story of a brash private detective, (Jack Nicholson) and an elusive, mysterious heiress (Faye Dunaway) in the corruption-filled L.A. of the 1930's.

I don't dislike them, but not particularly a fan of either Nicholson or Dunaway.   Nevertheless, BOTH of them are absolutely perfect casting in this --   love them in "Chinatown".  They have very romantic chemistry too.   

John Huston is hideously effective as a speculator with a heart of evil.

Brilliant musical score that never leaves you, and stunning art direction.  The Thirties' costuming and sets are spot on!   

Honored Contributor

Re: "CHINATOWN" JACK NICHOLSON MIDNIGHT EASTERN SATURDAY TCM

I'll never forget that movie but I don't think I could watch it again.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   Did you see the promo that Eddie Muller did on "neo noir"???  He mentioned the movie Get Carter with Michael Caine as one of the best ever.  I think it's on before or after Chinatown.  I have both ready to record.

Honored Contributor

I'll never forget seeing this at the movies for the first time --- I was completely blown away and thought about it for days afterwards.  When I saw it subsequently on TV, I realized there was so much to take in, I'd missed some things thst I picked up on over the years of seeing  it.  Something about how Huston says "Mr Gittes" always makes me hate him more.

@Oznell.  I 100% agree with your statement about the casting -- perfection.  I always like Nicholson but never liked Dunaway much but she's perfect in this

Honored Contributor

I have this movie on my DVR.  I haven't seen it in awhile and thought I would watch it again as it is top notch!  I like Nicholson as an actor, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest are a few favorites which he starred in.  Chinatown is a stand out movie with an excellent cast, I look forward to seeing it again!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I have this movie on my DVR.  I haven't seen it in awhile and thought I would watch it again as it is top notch!  I like Nicholson as an actor, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest are a few favorites which he starred in.  Chinatown is a stand out movie with an excellent cast, I look forward to seeing it again!

@spiderw  And don't forget his first movie role in Little Shop of Horrors! 😄

Honored Contributor

Watching ....I'd forgotten Roman Polanski is in this too, as well as having directed it.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Oznell   Did you see the promo that Eddie Muller did on "neo noir"???  He mentioned the movie Get Carter with Michael Caine as one of the best ever.  I think it's on before or after Chinatown.  I have both ready to record.

I have never seen either of these movies.  Maybe bits n pieces of Chinatown, but never from beginning to end.  The bandage over Nicholson's nose always sort of turned me off this movie, but I will have to check On Demand and see if they replay this.  I do like Faye Dunaway, she was so beautiful in her day, and she and Steve McQueen in The Thomas Crown Affair are the bomb.

I was thinking of watching Get Carter, but not being a big fan of Michael Caine I passed on this as well.  If it's one of the Best Ever, I may just have to check On Demand for this as well.  Typically for me, on the weekend, there is never anything I care to watch unless a good movie is being run, so I will check for both of these and have a bit of a binge watch Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for posting.  Woman Happy

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

If you have further interest in the actual history & story about the water wars in California, there's a really good 4 part documantary that was shown on PBS some years back, called "Cadillac Desert".  It may be available on demand, I found it fascinating as a born & raised SoCal kid, as I knew the name Mulholland, but never really thought much about who he was.