Honored Contributor

"CAST A DARK SHADOW" DIRK BOGARDE MARGARET LOCKWOOD FRIDAY 8:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

8:45 a.m. Eastern--   "Cast a Dark Shadow"  Dirk Bogarde, Margaret Lockwood

Not often seen, but fabulous British thriller.  Dirk Bogarde is a silky, cunning opportunist, who attracts and seeks out slightly older women and marries them for profit.  The recent "accidental" death of one wife, doesn't prevent him from quickly finding and zeroing in on the next (Margaret Lockwood).

Lockwood is a marvel in this.  Unlike the others, she's no patsy.  She's a wealthy, young-ish widow, unapologetically working class in background, who's shrewd, street-smart and earthy.  She thinks she's got Bogarde's number, but both of them are in for some surprises in this new marriage...

If you like off-beat suspense, this has got it.  Plus an interesting depiction of strategic, middle aged courtship.  Plus loads of noir-ish atmosphere, of the Fifties British kind, which makes it fresh and unusual.

In this TCM clip, there's a lot of mutual sizing up by Bogarde and Lockwood in a seaside nightclub, with the nightclub's seductive torch singer providing the background music, "Leave Me Alone".

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/285307/Cast-A-Dark-Shadow-Movie-Clip-Leave-Me-Alone.html

And check out these other varied mystery options on TCM on Friday, including: "The Naked City", "The Last of Sheila", "Undercurrent" and "Suspicion".   A day of suspense!  See schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-09-28

Honored Contributor

Re: "CAST A DARK SHADOW" DIRK BOGARDE MARGARET LOCKWOOD FRIDAY 8:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Love "noir-ish"..,,,I'll be recording.

Honored Contributor

Re: "CAST A DARK SHADOW" DIRK BOGARDE MARGARET LOCKWOOD FRIDAY 8:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Good, @phoenixbrd.  That kind of moody atmospherics gets to me too-- I'm totally susceptible!

Honored Contributor

Here's my Dirk Bogarde trivia:

When I was in London with my aunt (sounds like the name of a book!) we saw Dirk Bogarde's house. It was right around the corner from Harrod's. I don't know how my aunt knew, but she is a true Anglophile so I didn't even question her! Anyway, a very modest dwelling, I must say. Two little milk bottles sitting on the porch. Oh, how I miss having my milk delivered. And then we rented a car and drove all over till we found the street (she knew the street) where the forties style apt. bldg. was that the Poirot sets were filmed. Oh, yes, we found it. I have a picture of me going in the door. You know, like I lived there, hahaha. We took lots of pictures of it.

Honored Contributor

Neat, @Judaline!  Your aunt sounds as fun-loving as you.

I liked the interiors of one of Dirk Bogarde's houses-- it was shown in one of my decorating books.  It was a vacation house in a tropical climate, and it too was unpretentious, but it was airy and comfortable, with a kind of casual, throwaway chic.

He's so good when he gets to play these gigolo-esque roles, like in this movie!