Honored Contributor

"CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA" VIVIEN LEIGH CLAUDE RAINS WEDNESDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

11:15 a.m Eastern--  "Caesar and Cleopatra"   Vivien Leigh, Claude Rains, Stewart Granger, Flora Robson, Anthony Harvey, Cecil Parker

This 1945 version, unlike the Liz-and-D i c k extravaganza of the Sixties, is based on the play by George Bernard Shaw.  It focuses on how an aging Caesar (Rains) helps prepare the young Queen for a hazard-filled reign of Egypt.

I wonder how the two different productions stack up against each other?  I've only seen snips of the Taylor version, mainly to glimpse her extravagant costumes, jewels, etc.  But gorgeous Vivien Leigh looks like she could give Elizabeth a run for the money, no?

Here's Elizabeth:

They're both ravishing, in different ways.   The cast of the earlier film is very promising, and the fact that it's based on Shaw... 

Honored Contributor

Re: "CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA" VIVIEN LEIGH CLAUDE RAINS WEDNESDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

The picture of Vivien Leigh as Cleopatra is stunning!!!!  I think she could give Liz a run for her money in the looks dept. in that role!

I did see the cast of thousands extravaganza Cleopatra with Liz and Richard, the settings were spectacular.  Liz of course was a beautiful actress and this part was perfect for her.  I always thought Richard Burton very handsome too.

I will DVR the Vivien Lee movie,it sounds like a good one with a great cast.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: "CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA" VIVIEN LEIGH CLAUDE RAINS WEDNESDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Actually, my favorite film about Cleopatra is the one starring Claudette Colbert from the 1930s.  Her seduction of Marc Antony is an extravaganza!

Trusted Contributor

I don’t think I’ve seen this one. You are right, @Oznell, they are both ravishing but in my mind there is something exquisite about Vivian. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Actually, my favorite film about Cleopatra is the one starring Claudette Colbert from the 1930s.  Her seduction of Marc Antony is an extravaganza!

I agree.  The production values in "Caesar and Cleopatra" are extravagant, and the stars very attractive, but I find the acting tedious.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  I haven't seen the entire Shaw version but what I did see, I agree with you about it being somewhat tedious due to the fact, I guess, that it was originally a play and does not IMO make a great movie.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the Claudette Colbert version, she appears topless for a hot second...

Spoiler
LSSj30Y.gif

I like both CC & ET versions.  I have never seen the Vivian Leigh version.  Looking forward to it.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I have seen all three.  In the CC version, I remember her being wrapped up in a rug and being unrolled and landing at Cesar's feet.

Vivien Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor are, both, beautiful woman but in different ways.  The exquisite delicacy if Vivien Leigh is like a beautiful piece of translucent china.

Elizabeth Taylor, for me, is full blown like a rose at it's peak in all it's glory.

Both beautiful but both very different.

Honored Contributor

Darling Claudette is one of my three favorite "Classic age of Hollywood" actresses!  The other two being Bette D. and Stanwyck, of course.

Claudette is the eternal flirtatious gamine:

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I have seen all three.  In the CC version, I remember her being wrapped up in a rug and being unrolled and landing at Cesar's feet.

Vivien Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor are, both, beautiful woman but in different ways.  The exquisite delicacy if Vivien Leigh is like a beautiful piece of translucent china.

Elizabeth Taylor, for me, is full blown like a rose at it's peak in all it's glory.

Both beautiful but both very different.

That scene is probably in all 3 versions since I believe it actually happened.