Honored Contributor

"Born To Be Bad" TCM Saturday 10:15 p.m. Eastern

Such an enjoyable "noirish" drama about a manipulative social climber!  This film has a lot of interesting actors too, and the bonus of gorgeous post-war fashions and sets.

Joan Fontaine is invited to stay with another young woman who is involved with wealthy socialite Zachary Scott.  Soon Joan has moved in on Zachary, by planting seeds of doubt in both his mind and his girlfriend's, about each other.   She convinces Z. he should have his fiancee sign a pre-nup, which is guaranteed to outrage the fiancee, and the marriage is off.

Long-story-short, Joan ends up Mrs. Zachary Scott, but moves on to conquer other "fields" by engaging in an all too tempting affair with a writer friend of the family....  And on and on.   Then, things start to catch up with her...

Attractive Zachary Scott is perfect as the sweet but easily duped husband.  (He was "Monte", Joan Crawford's traitorous hubby in "Mildred Pierce".) This also has Mel Ferrer as a rather ambiguous painter, and brilliant Robert Ryan as the available writer/paramour.

Directed by Nicholas Ray ("Rebel Without a Cause",  "In A Lonely Place", etc.)  This film is preceded on TCM by "The Bad and the Beautiful", so they must be specializing in "bad" on Saturday night!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Born To Be Bad" TCM Saturday 10:15 p.m. Eastern

Love this movie! I've seen it SEVERAL times!

Carol Burnett parodied it on her show, years ago....

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell Thanks for keeping up with the TCM schdule and alerting us when some of these less remembered, but terrific, film noirs are shown.  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

YorkieonmyPillow, didn't they call it "Raised to be Rotten" or something, ha.

Honored Contributor

Trixx, thank you, it's my pleasure!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @Oznell!!

Set up my DVR...

Always enjoy this as Joan Fontaine shows us a different side by playing someone so foreign to her usual "type" of character. It's a good one...thanks again!

Honored Contributor

My thought exactly, yellowbeetle.  I think she had a lot of fun getting away from her "sweet ingenue" image...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell

Just want to thank you for all the "head's up" you give us regarding TCM.  I rarely check on the channel's schedule, so I appreciate your posts on upcoming movies!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, corita.  I've started to feel guilty when I miss some.  There were some fabulous "noirs" on the other day with Lizabeth Scott, including my favorite "Pitfall",  that slipped by me!

Honored Contributor

Oh, no tuning in at the end of the "Essentials" discussion, I see they've brought back David Letterman, gack.  Why, when William Friedkin was so knowledgeable, likable and authoritative....