Honored Contributor

"BLACKBOARD JUNGLE" GLENN FORD, SIDNEY POITIER, ANNE FRANCIS MONDAY 6:00 P.M.Eastern TCM

6:00 p.m. Eastern--   "Blackboard Jungle"  Glenn Ford, Sidney Poitier, Anne Francis, Vic Morrow, John Hoyt, Jameel Farah

One of the earliest movies (1955) about teenage angst and rebellion in schools, excitingly directed by Richard Brooks.

This time it's Glenn Ford who's the innovative young teacher, trying to reach youths in a tough environment.

Oscar-nominated for writing, cinematography, art direction, among others.  Included in the Library of Congress as "culturally significant".

The use of rock music in the film was notable for the time, employing the sounds of "Bill Haley & His Comets", and galvanizing a teen audience for the film.

This isn't Sidney Poitier's first film, but it's the one that got him major notice, and on his way to stardom.

Trivia--  The actor billed as Jameel Farah, is none other than Jamie Farr, of later "MASH" fame as "Klinger".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSspYy1m36g

And for another view of teaching "under duress":

1:15 p.m. Eastern  "The Corn is Green"  Bette Davis, John Dall, Nigel Bruce, Rhys Williams, Mildred Dunnock, Joan Lorring

Bette is an indomitable teacher, wrestling to give promising John Dall the education he deserves, amid the poverty and distractions of Welsh coal-mining country.

Oscar nominations for best supporting actor and actress, respectively, for John Dall and Joan Lorring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFGMvnqeT8

Respected Contributor

Re: "BLACKBOARD JUNGLE" GLENN FORD, SIDNEY POITIER, ANNE FRANCIS MONDAY 6:00 P.M.Eastern

"Blackboard Jungle" is grim, but when I was teaching, it was an inspiration to me. I was enthralled by all those classroom movies (in particular, "Up the Down Staircase" and, of course, "To Sir, With Love").

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "BLACKBOARD JUNGLE" GLENN FORD, SIDNEY POITIER, ANNE FRANCIS MONDAY 6:00 P.M.Eastern

Great movie! Thanks for the heads up. 

Honored Contributor

Exactly, @insomniac2.  There's something timeless and instructive about seeing the conflict between forces of idealism and discipline, up against both entrenched bureaucracy, (the beleaguered school administration) and the unchanneled and misdirected energy of the students.

What could be more dramatic?

Honored Contributor

To be a teen-ager at the time would have been the ultimate. This was a great movie. Very stimulating in its time. Vic Morrow was the real star of this film. I knew he would go places the first time I saw him. I didn't know he would die young. Disheartening.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Judaline, I'm trying to remember-- wasn't he tragically killed on the set of a movie or TV show-- in a helicopter, maybe?  Along with some children, I think.

Horrible-- I think I read his daughter eventually sued the studio, maybe.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I think it was called The Twilight Zone. Wasn't Natalie Wood in that, too? I'm probably wrong but it seems like......... If so, that's an eerie feeling. 

My family watched Combat every week with VM. My DH and I stole our email addresses from that show.