Honored Contributor

"BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT" DANA ANDREWS, JOAN FONTAINE SUNDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

4:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt".  Dana Andrews, Joan Fontaine, Sidney Blackmer, Shepperd Strudwick, Arthur Franz, Barbara Nichols, Edward Binns, Robyn Raymond

24342592-standard.jpg

First off, don't you love the cast?  Terrific suspense film for a late weekend afternoon!  Please see my previous alert for discussion of plot elements:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/TV-and-Movies/Film-Noir-Fans-quot-Beyond-A-Reasonable-Doubt-quot-TCM-Th...

I never tire of promoting the films of one of my all time favorite noir directors, the brilliant Fritz Lang.  This one, "Beyond...."  is a perfect companion piece to the other one of his aired recently, also starring the invaluable Dana Andrews--  "While the City Sleeps".

Byeond3.jpg

Andrews' trademark intelligence, and that hint of ambiguity of his, pairs interestingly with Joan Fontaine's glam, poised and slightly oblivious, slightly "over-age" society-deb type, marking time until the big lug will marry her.  Her father,  Sidney Blackmer, is also ideal as the crusading publisher who conspires with his writer Dana to try to expose the folly of a local prosecutor, with very unforeseen results.

Hmmm, does Joan know that Dana is mixing with backstage showgirls?

1a7a903c-c3ca-43fd-95f6-ce0263142f3f.png

Side trivia:   They filmed this in Chicago, simultaneous with making "While the City Sleeps",  and both films have that sense of the corrupt urban landscape looming in the background, almost as an additional character.    

Interestingly, Joseph Cotten had also been considered for Dana's role.  My two favorite all-time noir actors!  Either would have satisfied me, obviously.

3115-2.jpg 

Endlessly thought-provoking movie, yet with the kind of earthy suspense lure of the seamy world it exposes.  Vintage Fritz Lang.  

Honored Contributor

Re: "BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT" DANA ANDREWS, JOAN FONTAINE SUNDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Saw this not long ago. Very good. As I recall there's a twist and a turn? 

There's a movie with Joan Fontaine I only saw once and haven't forgotten how good it was. It was only on once that I remember. Joan was (to use Bacall's words from To Have and Have Not) "a real stinker."

Honored Contributor

Re: "BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT" DANA ANDREWS, JOAN FONTAINE SUNDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

This film was remade and the remake is as good as the original.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I wonder, @Judaline, if that film you're thinking of with Joan is "The Bad and the Beautiful",   or if it's maybe "The Constant Nymph"?  You've got me wondering.   

"The Bad..."  had Zachary Scott as the fiance she stole, and "Constant" had Charles Boyer....

Honored Contributor

I know I will be watching. "Top Hat" is on right before "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt". So I will have the TV on. Besides I know I will be seeing a first rate performance from Dana Andrews and Joan Fontaine. But I also enjoy watching Barbara Nichols. She always seems to play quite a character.

Sad to read that Barbara Nichols died at 47. 

I have seen this movie before but it has been awhile. Worth seeing again.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I wonder, @Judaline, if that film you're thinking of with Joan is "The Bad and the Beautiful",   or if it's maybe "The Constant Nymph"?  You've got me wondering.   

"The Bad..."  had Zachary Scott as the fiance she stole, and "Constant" had Charles Boyer....

I was in a hurry to get to church and forgot to mention the title!!!!!  It was IVY.

Honored Contributor

Oh--   "Ivy",   thanks for ending the suspense, @Judaline.  That one I've never seen--  it sounds good, and with wonderful Herbert Marshall in the cast.

Frequent Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I was in a hurry to get to church and forgot to mention the title!!!!!  It was IVY.

Joan is terrific in "Ivy" but the one you're thinking of (where she steals Joan Leslie's fiance Zachary Scott) is "Born to be Bad" (also starring the great Robert Ryan)

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks for catching that,  @antiquarian --  how did I get "Born to be Bad" switched up to "The Bad and the Beautiful",  ha.  Must have Kirk Douglas on the brain, as of late... 

Frequent Contributor

@Oznell  I don't blame you for having Kirk on the brain, lol.

"ODIN!!!"