Honored Contributor

"BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" JEAN MARAIS THURSDAY 4:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

4:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Beauty and the Beast".  Jean Marais, Josette Day

A day of fairy tales!  Check the schedule.   One of the most notable,  director-poet Jean Cocteau's dreamlike masterpiece of French cinema.  Belle must go live with the Beast to save her father. 

This is one of those critic's darlings, hailed for its magical properties, mythic themes, and painterly cinematography.

I've not personally seen it, but it has earned almost universal interest and acclaim, for those interested in the fantasy genre and beyond.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

Honored Contributor

Re: "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" JEAN MARAIS THURSDAY 4:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell wrote:

4:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Beauty and the Beast".  Jean Marais, Josette Day

A day of fairy tales!  Check the schedule.   One of the most notable,  director-poet Jean Cocteau's dreamlike masterpiece of French cinema.  Belle must go live with the Beast to save her father. 

This is one of those critic's darlings, hailed for its magical properties, mythic themes, and painterly cinematography.

I've not personally seen it, but it has earned almost universal interest and acclaim, for those interested in the fantasy genre and beyond.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

it is an interesting movie, I think it's subtitled but not a reason to skip 

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @jackthebear -- and I'd always rather have good subtitles than bad dubbing!

Honored Contributor

I watched this for the first time yesterday. Interesting how they used painted arms & faces of actors to show enchantments. The interaction between Belle’s brother & suitor toward Belle’s spoiled & plotting sisters was funny. Still, overall, a dark & creepy version of the tale.