Honored Contributor

"BARNABY JONES" CRANKING UP TONIGHT (WEE HOURS TUESDAY) ON METV

[ Edited ]

Flash alert--  Just found out MeTV is returning "Barnaby Jones" to its schedule, early, early Tuesday morning at 4:00 a.m. Eastern.

Barnaby_Jones_Cast.jpg

"Barnaby",  starring the invaluable Buddy Ebsen, belongs with the other, classic 70's detective shows like "Mannix" and "Cannon".   Tonight (or technically, tomorrow a.m.) is the first episode in the series, in which Barnaby re-activates his detective agency, along with daughter-in-law Betty (Lee Meriwether) in the aftermath of family tragedy.  They were later joined by Barnaby's youthful, impetuous law student cousin, "Jedediah", or "J.R." as he insisted on being called,  (Mark Shera).

There's a warm chemistry to this show that makes it beloved among classic TV private eye fans. 

Followed by Broderick Crawford's "Highway Patrol" at 5:00 a.m. Eastern!   DVR's, start your engines!

I wonder if there have been other tweaks to the schedule-- haven't had a chance to check the rest of the day yet...

Honored Contributor

Re: "BARNABY JONES" CRANKING UP TONIGHT (WEE HOURS TUESDAY) ON METV

i enjoy BARNABY JONES a lot!

ME TV is also bringing back THE FLINTSTONES!!!! have not seen this in ages.

they are also adding BAT MASTERSON on saturdays.

the TWILIGHT ZONE is returning and THE JEFFERSONS will be on late on sunday nights.

https://www.metv.com/videos/metv-originals/the-flintstones-are-coming-to-metv-this-fall

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm happy to see Barnaby Jones will be on MeTV along with Mannix, Cannon and other great detective series!  I enjoyed them all when they were big TV hits and now they are here again for our enjoyment.  MeTV has so many good old shows, detective and comedy and thrillers.  

My sister and I are big fans of the Charlie Chan movies we used to see on TV when very young.  Sidney Toler and Werner Oland played Charlie.  We always looked forward to the ending when Charlie would gather suspects and one by one find the criminal!  My sister and I now have the DVD's so we can watch them at our leisure.  

Buddy Ebsom was funny in the silly Beverly Hillbillies but he was really terrific as Barnaby Jones.  I also liked Lee Merriweather paired with him, the were very good together.

Honored Contributor

As a teenager my friends and I used to cruise Pacific Coast Highway.  One afternoon I was in Coco’s in Laguna Beach.  I had to walk past the counter to get to the restroom and there on the last stool sat Barnaby Jones.  I smiled at him and he smiled and tipped his head at me.

As a young kid, also in Laguna Beach, my parents and I sat next to Fess Parker.  

I also saw Frank Cannon in Seal Beach where he was filming one day😊

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks for the tip, @sunshine45 -- I'd like to check out "Bat Masterson"!

@spiderw,  I agree, the close relationship Barnaby had with Betty, and later including J.R., helped distinguish this series and lifted it above the "usual".  Buddy Ebsen was such a pro, all the way from his gangly youth as a dancer in movies with Shirley Temple, among others!

Those are some very cool "star spottings",  @tansy, lucky you!

Honored Contributor

We own all the Barnaby Jones and really enjoy them. Some great stars who go on to have series of ther own.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Yeah, we have the series on DVD also.  But somehow, I love the fact that it's airing in "real time" now too!