Honored Contributor

"BABETTE'S FEAST"-- STEPHANE AUDRAN WEDNESDAY 8:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

8:15 a.m. Eastern--  "Babette's Feast"  Stephane Audran, Birgitte Federspiel, Bodil Kjer, Bibi Andersson, Jarl Kulle

A rare, rare treat, gang.  This Danish film won the 1987 Best Foreign Film Oscar, for very good reason.

First, it is based on one of celebrated writer Isak Dinesen's ("Out of Africa") fanciful stories.  You are definitely entering a sort of surreal, Nordic fairy tale territory here...

Two beautiful sisters live in a tiny Danish town where their father is pastor to a small congregation.  The sisters eventually decline all their glamorous suitors, in favor of remaining in their home and managing the dwindling, devout little congregation.  One day a mysterious Parisienne, Babette, (Stephane Audran) arrives, seeking refuge at their door.  She stays, becoming their cook.

One day, coming into a financial windfall, Babette offers to cook a "real" French feast, no holds barred, for the sisters and parishioners.  It is an evening of beauty, quiet magic, revelations and pure love.

Spoiler
Spoiler
It turns out that the enigmatic Babette was once the chef of the mighty "Cafe Anglaise" restaurant in Paris.  She could have used her windfall of money to return to that life, but she decided to spend it all instead on creating an unforgettable repast for the spartan little group.  She is an artist and an altruist.

It's the kind of film you get drawn into, more and more.  Reminiscent of Ingmar Bergman's films, but less bleak than his, I'd say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5w9skKcdnA

Honored Contributor

Re: "BABETTE'S FEAST"-- STEPHANE AUDRAN WEDNESDAY 8:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Ha, ha, apologies-- at first I had the "Mannix" clip as the link in the post.  That has now been corrected to the "Babette"s Feast" trailer!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Treat is right, @Oznell.  It has been several years since I watched “Babette’s Feast” but, I remember it as being one of those movies in which the overall mood and style are a big part of the enjoyment.  

Great comparison to “Bergman ...but, less bleak”. 

Airing at 0515 here, so I will record.   I think I own this movie but, since I do not want to hunt through the boxes holding my movie “overflow”, recording is much easier!  

Honored Contributor

I do that too, @trenet!

Honored Contributor

OK Oznell - I will check it out.

BUT I have reservations. For school we had to go see an Ingmar Bergman film. I forgot the name of the movie. Well, the next class they were talking about all the symbolism in the movie. And what the movie meant etc. And I sat there not having a clue. 

Hope Babette's Feast does not have alot of symbolism and hidden meanings because I am sure I will be sitting there with my mouth open, not getting it.

Honored Contributor

Oh, @drizzellla -- never fear, nothing in this film would go over your head in the least.  I would see you, particularly, responding to the warm humanity of this.  That's what's compelling about it, the humanity.

These are universally understandable characters-- the stoic (but in some ways, surprising) sisters, the worldly vanities of some of the other "city" characters, the simplicity of villagers, and the amazing alchemy of Babette.

It's a gentle charmer.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your encouraging words, Oznell.

At 8:15 am I can guarantee you I will not be ready for any movie with deep meanings and lots of symbolism. 

But a charming movie - BRING IT ON! I am ready.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla,  and who cares if a little painless "deep meaning" seeps in around the edges, ha.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Love!! This film. Right up there with "Like Water For Chocolate"

Honored Contributor

Thanks Oznell

You said it best - the movie was a charmer.

Wish I could have tasted the meal. Oh what am I saying. I doubt I could ever try turtle soup.