Honored Contributor

Re: "Ave Maria" Amazon commercial...

I love the hymn, and it might have been chosen, because the person in charge of doing  the commercial did too

Trusted Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Ave Maria is a beautiful song, it always affects me.  I have to been to numerous funeral masses where this song has been sung and it always brings the tears. As a result of my experience hearing this song, I find it inappropriate in a commercial and think it disrespectful.  This is just my opinion and my frame of reference for this song.

Oh those are my feelings too. One of the songs sung at my husbands funeral mass.  "How Great Thou Art" is another song that brings me to tears.

Valued Contributor

I'm a Catholic, even though I'm not religious , and I find nothing offensive about playing this beautiful song in an Amazon commercial.  I get the message of the calming effect it has on the man with the headphones on.

On the other hand, I was greatly offended by the song in a recent candy commercial and I think the singing??? in a feminine product commercial is vulgar.  However, we are talking about the commercials so the advertisers apparently got what they wanted.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

This commercial is beautiful when you compare it to all of the obnoxious insurance company commercials that appear to be overtaking TV.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Ave Maria means Hail Mary and it's lyrics are a catholic prayer said to the Blessed Mother.

I don't understand the commercial and it makes me uncomfortable for Amazon to be using this song in a commercial.

It you figured out the message, please share.

@Carmie 

The message in that commercial is that when the song is playing, the man is wearing noise cancelling headphones and 'noise cancelling headphones' is flashed on the screen as a search item on Ebay.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Ave Maria means Hail Mary and it's lyrics are a catholic prayer said to the Blessed Mother.

I don't understand the commercial and it makes me uncomfortable for Amazon to be using this song in a commercial.

@Carmie 

The message in that commercial is that when the song is playing, the man is wearing noise cancelling headphones and 'noise cancelling headphones' is flashed on the screen as a search item on Ebay.

I understand that part. What I don't understand is why they use a song with lyrics that are a prayer to the Blessed Mother asking her to pray for us at the hour of our death.  

Why that song and not some other one that is not religious? I think it is extremely disrespectful and inapproperiate.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  Wow! You seem to have started quite the controversy! I'm not Catholic (Mennonite, actually), but I love the Ave Maria as a beautiful song and for what it means to so many people. During the Christmas Holidays we listen to Pavarotti singing both the Schubert and Bach-Gounod versions (with the Notre Dame, Montreal boys choir). Then we debate the qualities of both. Personally, I like the commercial, because it reminds me of when I used to drive the children to school or somewhere else, and I would just turn up the radio to drown out their arguments, etc. It also works with crying babies!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie 

I understand that part. What I don't understand is why they use a song with lyrics that are a prayer to the Blessed Mother asking her to pray for us at the hour of our death.  

Why that song and not some other one that is not religious? I think it is extremely disrespectful and inapproperiate.

Perhaps because the song is beautiful and calming to the man-as it is for many people.  

I am completely anti-religious and I find nothing at all offensive about the commercial.  Finding peace and solace in a religious song is perfectly appropriate for some.  

BTW, I find the song beautiful too. I don't have to believe in the words to appreciate a beautiful song.

Trusted Contributor

"Ave Maria" was one of my mother's favorite songs. My youngest brother who has a beautiful voice sang it at her funeral. Everytime I hear the commercial it givs me lovely memiories.

Chris Cornell did a beautiful version of "Ave Maria". Mario Lanza's version was my mom's favorite.

Honored Contributor

There are only a few commercials I watch (I DVR everything so I can Fast Forward over commercials).

One of the commercials I'll watch is that one.  I absolutely love it!  I also like the commercials that show the dogs.

When you fast forward over commercials, you realize how little TV you actually watch and how fast it goes.  Most of the show....OK exaggeration....about 1/3 of a show are commercials...