Honored Contributor

"Anatomy of a Murder"-- Jimmy Stewart TCM 10:30 p.m Eastern. Tonight

In fact, there's an excellent little Jimmy Stewart/Hitchcock fest starting at 6:00 p.m. Eastern, with "Rope" and "Vertigo".

At 10:30, we switch to "Anatomy" with the capable Otto Preminger (of "Laura" fame) directing.  This is possibly my favorite movie of the (late) Fifties, along with "Touch of Evil" of course.

Stewart is a savvy small town lawyer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  It's a resort/iron manufacturing/military base area, with a wonderful, authentic Great Lakes atmosphere. The location filming was done confidently, and you get such a feel for the area-- love that.

When soldier Ben Gazzara's wife (a seductive yet poignant little-girl-lost Lee Remick), gets raped by a local resort owner, and then Ben Gazzara plugs and kills him, Jimmy Stewart gets hired for the defense.  Fireworks follow.

Gems of this movie-- 1/ Stewart's virtuoso performance.  2/  Ditto Lee Remick  3/  Ditto a young brilliant George C. Scott as the big gun attorney "from Lansing".  4/  The presence of Eve Arden as Stewart's sardonic secretary.  5/  The jazz score.  6/  Duke Ellington is in this!!! 

Could go on and on, but that's enough.  (Note to @IMW--  I HAD to rave about this one. TCM has been at the top of its game lately, ha.)

Super Contributor

Re: "Anatomy of a Murder"-- Jimmy Stewart TCM 10:30 p.m Eastern. Tonight

[ Edited ]

The small town in the UP of MI. is still there it's Big Bay, MI. right on Lake Superior.

The "Anatomy of a Murder" bar, is still in Big Bay.  It's called, Lumber Jack Tavern.  This movie is based on an actual murder that took place in Big Bay.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teachergal, that info will greatly enrich my enjoyment of the film! Of course they use fictitious names in the movie, like "Iron City" etc.  Once I did a little research on the towns and locations in it, and it was so much fun.  From the time I first saw this movie, I felt an immediate affinity for the Upper Peninsula!

Super Contributor

I am happy you enjoy this movie.  I do too.  I live in the lower pennisula of MI., but travel through the UP often.  Those UP towns are still very much as depicted in the movie, not a lot has changed.  If possible you should visit this area of Michigan.

Trusted Contributor

...and if anyone needs to know what channel TCM is on on Directv, it's 256. (I just looked it up and will be watching!)

Respected Contributor

I certainly understand the rave, it’s well deserved.

I recently read a Jimmy Stuart  bio,by Marc Eliot, extremely interesting. It seems he, like so many, came back from WWII a different man. He was a pilot and saw some very hard service. He never played light comedic roles again, he also aged considerably.

Another good read, Hank And Jim. Hank is of course Henry Fonda.

Honored Contributor

I think I know what I'll be doing tonight...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Watching now.  Love the verbal fencing betw. Stewart and Gazzara.  Two terrific actors playing off each other.

Then there's Arthur O'Connell-- great.   I love the court room scenes later when supercilious attorney "Claude Dancer" enters the picture.  Boy, George C. Scott had "it" right from the beginning. Wonderful characterization of a smart, condescending city guy on the way up, who thinks he knows more than he knows.  It's super the way Dancer underestimates Stewart because he's from a small town and is mild mannered and slower talking.  Then, pow, Stewart hits him with his wily, deceptively homespun courtroom bravura.

Just a pleasure from start to finish! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Watching now.  Love the verbal fencing betw. Stewart and Gazzara.  Two terrific actors playing off each other.

Then there's Arthur O'Connell-- great.   I love the court room scenes later when supercilious attorney "Claude Dancer" enters the picture.  Boy, George C. Scott had "it" right from the beginning. Wonderful characterization of a smart, condescending city guy on the way up, who thinks he knows more than he knows.  It's super the way Dancer underestimates Stewart because he's from a small town and is mild mannered and slower talking.  Then, pow, Stewart hits him with his wily, deceptively homespun courtroom bravura.

Just a pleasure from start to finish! 

@Oznell  You nailed it again. I loved Arthur O'Connell in this-and in most things! He's just so...........homey or something. hahaha He was in a few horse pictures going way back. April Love comes to mind. Anyway, this is a great movie. And so is Spirit of St. Louis. I love how he talked to the fly. No, I didn't cry when he let him go. But close!