Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   as far as use of the "c" word, the Brit's use expressions differently than us.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/******

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I didn't think his last season was as good as the other ones but glad he decided to do a final one to kind of tie things up. Yes, I hadn't realized he was such a talented actor, only thought he was a wise-cracking comedian.  I did not care for some of the foul language and the contant use of one "c" word in particular.  However, I know he is known for his so-called potty mouth!  There is another old series of his on Netflix that was really good, and I can't think of the name of it --- the title is simply a man's name.  He plays a person who has some mental challenges who helps out at a kind of old age facility.  It's a very touching series and not something that you would think he would do either.  

Derek is the name of that show. He was also the star of The Office , before it was made in to an American series.

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat 

Some of their expressions I really love and find wonderfully funny -- others not so much!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa 

Yes, Derek, thank you!  I really enjoyed that and he did a wonderful job on that!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

There's no transitioning, @phoenixbrd 

His character simply watches, on his laptop, video he and his wife (the character, of course) created of her doing ordinary things while she was still alive. The videos help him stay connected as he grieves.

BTW, does everyone know what a HUGE supporter Ricky Gervais is of animal welfare?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa   Here is my take on the ending:

Spoiler
I do not believe Tony ended his own life.  I think the scene with him walking away with Lisa and the dog was to show the beginning of his life with her.  Then she fades out and it is just Tony and the dog.  Eventually the dog dies and fades out.  Then Tony fades out.  I took it to mean he died at some point, too.  If you notice the trees turned color near the end before he faded out.  I think it just showed the end of life for Lisa, then the dog, and then Tony.
"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@MW in Iowa   Here is my take on the ending:

Spoiler
I do not believe Tony ended his own life.  I think the scene with him walking away with Lisa and the dog was to show the bsolutely  of his life with her.  Then she fades out and it is just Tony and the dog.  Eventually the dog dies and fades out.  Then Tony fades out.  I took it to mean he died at some point, too.  If you notice the trees turned color near the end before he faded out.  I think it just showed the end of life for Lisa, then the dog, and then Tony.

You are absolutely right , i had to go to reddit and Ricky also was interviewed about it. What really threw me was , after Lenny took his picture , he looked back at the camera like someting was wrong with the picture.

Honored Contributor

I started watching this show around March 8, 2019 during the pandemic and about 5 weeks after my mother passed, I wasn't in a good place to see this show. Fast forward 2 years I feel as Tony does, a profound loss. a deep void in his life. Tony had such a love for his wife, I don't think he will ever let anyone in. He just exists, waiting to die to be with his wife, this isn't what she would want for him. The final episode was killer, I cried from beginning to the end (Both Sides Now always makes me cry). Was the ending open to interpretation? January 31 is two years since my mother passed, I may not cry everyday but I miss her everyday. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I started watching this show around March 8, 2019 during the pandemic and about 5 weeks after my mother passed, I wasn't in a good place to see this show. Fast forward 2 years I feel as Tony does, a profound loss. a deep void in his life. Tony had such a love for his wife, I don't think he will ever let anyone in. He just exists, waiting to die to be with his wife, this isn't what she would want for him. The final episode was killer, I cried from beginning to the end (Both Sides Now always makes me cry). Was the ending open to interpretation? January 31 is two years since my mother passed, I may not cry everyday but I miss her everyday. 

My Mom passed away 3 years ago , and there is no way i would have watched this show until now. I still talk to her daily , and no she doesn't answer. Mothers can never be replaced , but for many spouses ,are sometimes replaced quicker than expected , and others will never re marry . 

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa   I caught that with Lenny and the camera, too. 

I don't think something was wrong like the picture didn't take or something weird like that-I think Lenny just wonders about his friend being alone while everyone else at this fair had somebody.

Since Tony had started to change for the positive maybe Lenny just sees him in a different way now.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh