Honored Contributor

"ANN VICKERS" IRENE DUNNE WALTER HUSTON FRIDAY 1:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

1:30 p.m. Eastern --  "Ann Vickers"  Irene Dunne, Walter Huston, Bruce Cabot, Edna May Oliver, Conrad Nagel

I always try to alert this one when it's on, because this early Thirties film is engrossing but little known.  Based on the Sinclair Lewis novel of the same name (which is a great read, by the way), it follows a clever tomboy (Dunne) as she matures to young womanhood.

Dunne is a smart, flawed, spunky character, who stumbles in love, (with Bruce Cabot), then becomes a respected prison reformer and expert.  Charismatic Walter Huston is an attractive, older, perhaps ethically-compromised judge who sweeps her off her feet and brings her to a personal crossroads....

dunne-walter-huston.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "ANN VICKERS" IRENE DUNNE WALTER HUSTON FRIDAY 1:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  You keep DH and I so entertained. Thanks 😊❤️

Honored Contributor

Ever at your service, kind @godi!

Honored Contributor

What a lovely picture of Irene Dunne!  I set my DVR for this movie, sounds like a good watch!  

I have so many supernatural, horrors and such on my DVR I had to make sure I had room, LOL!!!!  One of my favorites, the Uninvited is on soon, love that house!

Thanks, for your always welcome recommendations, Oznell!

Honored Contributor

If Walter Huston is in it, I'm watching!!!

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @kaydee50, and this is an especially interesting, multi-layered role for him to tackle.  It's a pleasure to see a real pro like Walter Huston work his performing magic!

Honored Contributor

Today was Jean Arthur day. I am watching "Easy Living". Never saw it before and am I liking it. Edward Arnold is so funny - but he doesn't know it.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you for giving a heads up on this one.  I found it a very engrossing "pre code" movie, one that could not have been made a year or two later.  It even made me put down my knitting!

IMO Dunne gave an excellent performance.  Huston didn't have a big role but is always interesting to watch.