Honored Contributor

"ANGEL FACE" ROBERT MITCHUM JEAN SIMMONS MIDNIGHT EASTERN SAT. TCM

[ Edited ]

Midnight Eastern Saturday and 10:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday--  "Angel Face".  Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Herbert Marshall, Leon Ames

Eddie Muller's "Noir Alley" has a cult classic favorite tonight.  Jean Simmons is a beautiful sociopath in this Otto Preminger directed suspenser.  She's a seemingly rich girl who can offer financial sponsorship to aspiring Robert Mitchum, and ends up manipulating him into a torrid love triangle with criminal complications...

There!  I don't think I let too many cats out of the bag, did I,  @Judaline?

Honored Contributor

Re: "ANGEL FACE" ROBERT MITCHUM JEAN SIMMONS MIDNIGHT EASTERN SAT. TCM

From this description, even I am fearing sweet-faced Jean Simmons.  

Sounds spellbinding, oznell..

Valued Contributor

@Oznell, Robert Mitchum is one of my favorites. He and his wife were married over 40 years.  She was pretty, but not glamorous, and she must have been tough.  I think he was probably hard to live with!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ha, ha, I think your surmise is right, @Ruby Laine!   I remember various interviewers, one of whom might have been D i c k Cavett, saying that Mitchum was the hardest interview of their careers.   He seems to have been pretty ornery, at least in certain moods...

But magic up there on the big screen, for sure...

Honored Contributor

Whoa, I dvr'd this last night and just got to see Eddie's commentary on the film.  Didn't know that Jean Simmons was one of Howard Hughes' obsessions, although she fits his preference, beautiful brunette actress.  She and hubby Stewart Granger must have been so relieved to get out from under her contract with him.

Nice to know MItchum tried to protect her during production.  Despite the stress, she turned in one bang-up performance!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell -   I had never seen (or heard about) this movie.  Watching it now and enjoying it very much.  Always liked Jean Simmons, especially in Until They Sail with Paul Newman and The Thornbirds miniseries.

I can'f figure out how it will end.

Thanks for the alert - I need to check out TCM more frequently.

Honored Contributor

Just viewed it. It is not good. J. Simmons looks like she always has gas and R. Mitchum needs a bath.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow - that was some ending!!!

Honored Contributor

We watched the commentary before the movie. I didn’t realize how evil Howard Hughes was to women. Even today the evilness never left Hollywood.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Midnight Eastern Saturday and 10:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday--  "Angel Face".  Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Herbert Marshall, Leon Ames

Eddie Muller's "Noir Alley" has a cult classic favorite tonight.  Jean Simmons is a beautiful sociopath in this Otto Preminger directed suspenser.  She's a seemingly rich girl who can offer financial sponsorship to aspiring Robert Mitchum, and ends up manipulating him into a torrid love triangle with criminal complications...

There!  I don't think I let too many cats out of the bag, did I,  @Judaline?

@Oznell  Coincidentally, this will be on tonight, Sunday night film noir on the Movie channel.