Honored Contributor

"ALL THE KING'S MEN" BRODERICK CRAWFORD, JOANNE DRU THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

a7310-all2bthe2bkings2bmen2b1.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "All the King's Men"  Broderick Crawford, Mercedes McCambridge, Joanne Dru, John Ireland, Shepperd Strudwick

Powerful film noir adaptation of Robert Penn Warren's famous novel.   Directed by Robert Rossen, Oscar- nominated for "Best Director" for this.

Broderick Crawford did justly win Oscar's "Best Actor" as the driven rags-to-riches politician, based in some part on real life Louisiana figure, Huey Long.

This film always strikes me as such an American original-- beautifully written, earthy, impressionistic and darkly moody.

Love particularly Mercedes McCambridge's complex portrait of Crawford's seemingly independent "career woman" aide, who's silently in love with the married Crawford.  She's in the dark pinstriped suit above, in group photo with coffee cup.  She won "Best Supporting Actress",  deservedly.  She's a chameleon:

4543437456_76a91418c0_c.jpg

Next to her in that same first, group photo is trench-coated John Ireland, a reporter who's ambivalently following Crawford's meteroric career.   He's another one of those actors I always wish had had a splashier career himself--  to me, he has sort of a "thinking woman's" matinee idol rakishness.  He was Oscar-nominated for "Best Supporting Actor" in this.

He's perhaps not show-stoppingly handsome (by ridiculously stringent Hollywood standards), but whenever I see him in "...Kings Men",  I can well understand why he has the reputation of having been plenty appealing to so many 'real life' film colony ladies:

John_Ireland-All_the_King's_Men-(1949)1.jpg

"All the King's Men" won the "Best Picture" Oscar for 1949.  Also has the honor of being selected by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically or aesthetically siginificant", and selected for preservation by the National Film Registry.

Bonuses:   Beautiful Joanne Dru, and one of my favorite character actors, Shepperd Strudwick, here at the piano--

gettyimages-3092699-612x612.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: "ALL THE KING'S MEN" BRODERICK CRAWFORD, JOANNE DRU THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Just a trivia note...Joanne Dru's brother was Peter Marshall from Hollywood Squares.

I have never seen this movie....I need to rectify that!  You always post interesting ones, @Oznell !

Honored Contributor

Re: "ALL THE KING'S MEN" BRODERICK CRAWFORD, JOANNE DRU THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@alicedee wrote:

Just a trivia note...Joanne Dru's brother was Peter Marshall from Hollywood Squares.

I have never seen this movie....I need to rectify that!  You always post interesting ones, @Oznell !

Joanne Dru was also married to D i c k Haymes. What a voice.

Honored Contributor

Never seen this movie.  Will check it out.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

OSCAR NIGHT MARCH 23, 1950

MERCEDES McCAMBRIDGE:

I'm aware of those who have contributed to this moment, and thankful for them, but I would like to say to every waiting actor: Hold on! Look what can happen. Thank you very much.

55976437-dfdf-4769-b63d-1797d2c041ec_1.ae4823109a93c942f3ac1e1222639668.jpeg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

For those who haven't seen it, a very worthwhile movie with excellent performances.

It won best picture over The Heiress and Letter to Three Wives.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

Joanne Dru was also married to D i c k Haymes. What a voice.

Everyone was married to D ic k Haymes.🤣

eta, Thanks, @Oznell, for the reminder. 

Trusted Contributor

I'll be watching!

Honored Contributor

That is cool trivia, @alicedee ,  and in the piano picture, you can see Joanne Dru's resemblance to her brother Peter Marshall--  they both have those great cheekbones!

Ha, ha, @Ruby Laine ,  too true!