Honored Contributor

"AFTER OFFICE HOURS" CONSTANCE BENNETT, CLARK GABLE WEDNESDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

3:30 p.m. Eastern--  "After Office Hours"  Clark Gable, Constance Bennett, Billie Burke, Margaret Dumont, William Demarest

This caught my eye because:

1) Any newspaper mystery with Clark Gable as a tough editor has my vote.

2) Look at who wrote the screenplay-- Herman Mankiewicz, no less!

3) As a society reporter working for Gable, it has charming Constance Bennett, of the illustrious theatrical Bennett family.  Richard was her father;  wonderful, smoky voiced Joan Bennett was her sister.

4) It's of mid-Thirties' vintage.  Nice to see more films of that period, get out of a "midcentury" rut...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75E20gBxP30

Honored Contributor

Re: "AFTER OFFICE HOURS" CONSTANCE BENNETT, CLARK GABLE WEDNESDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

I forgot to add that it is a Constance Bennett fest, with this to follow:

4:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Topper"   Delightful, comedy, beloved by both critics and audiences, with glam ghosts Cary Grant and Connie Bennett affectionately "haunting" their pal, stuffy banker Roland Young.

Edited to add:  And there are characteristic Constance Bennett vehicles unreeling right now this a.m., including "Outcast Lady",  "Sin Takes a Holiday",  and "Lady With a Past"...

Honored Contributor

Re: "AFTER OFFICE HOURS" CONSTANCE BENNETT, CLARK GABLE WEDNESDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

The plotline of "After Office Hours" always seems a little thin to me, but I'll rewatch "Topper" anytime. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just read yesterday that Clark Gable III passed away a couple of weeks ago in Dallas. He looked so much like his Grandfather, only 30 years old.  I always thought it was so sad that Clark Gable's son was born after his death in I believe 1960.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/clark-james-gable-iiis-manager-says-grandson-of-hollywood-star...

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Yeah, @beckyb1012,  that made me sad too.  Those Gable genes, physically at least, seemed pretty persistent.

I like him paired with the delicacy of Constance Bennett...