Valued Contributor

"A Place to Call Home," the Australian Downton Abbey

So I just recently subscribed to Acorn TV (on the Roku) so that I could watch the 7th season of Doc Martin (Netflix only has season 1 - 6).  Acorn TV is devoted to British TV shows and movies.  So, after binge-watching Doc Martin, I find another show called "A Place to Call Home."  I am absolutely addicted!  It's set in 1950's Australia in a small town not that far from Syndney and the best way to describe it is like an Australian Downton Abbey.  Is anyone else familiar with this show?  Acorn TV has 4 seasons and I've watched almost every show.  Don't know what I'm going to do when I'm done.  There will be a 5th season, but it probably won't be available in the US until next year.  

Respected Contributor

Re: "A Place to Call Home," the Australian Downton Abbey

I have heard A Place to Call Home is terrific.

Honored Contributor

I loved " A Place to .Call Home ", another good show on 

Acorn is " Where the Heart Is " .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Thanks!  I'll have to give that one of try.  I tried watching "The Heart Guy" but I found it too predictable:  hot shot heart surgeon who gets demoted to a GP in a small Austalian town out in the "sticks." 

Trusted Contributor

I adore this show! I recently purchased the first season to see how it all began on Amazon and it was shipped from England!  I have only watched the current season, so I know nothing of what has become before this. Regina Bligh is the perfect character you love to hate, isn't she? She plays it to the nines!

Honored Contributor

@sueeich wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Thanks!  I'll have to give that one of try.  I tried watching "The Heart Guy" but I found it too predictable:  hot shot heart surgeon who gets demoted to a GP in a small Austalian town out in the "sticks." 

Where the heart is takes place in a small town in Yorkshire. The main characters are nurses that work in the local health center and go to the patients homes. The town is populated with quirky and endearing characters, and most of the local males are on the town rugby team.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Love it @sueeich! I've watched on PBS so not as far along as you. Such a great show.

And, there's no one like Doc Martin!

Honored Contributor

I've been watching A Place To Call Home and like it. I've watch a couple Doc Martins and really dislike it. I find everone of the characters annoying, not a pleasing one in the bunch.

Respected Contributor

I lost interest after I got Acorn.  I just don't like that mom. 

Valued Contributor

A Place to Call Home was recommended by a friend several years ago and fortunately, my library has all the discs.  I'm obsessed with this show and love it.  The current season ends on PBS this weekend.  I can't wait unti Season 5