Respected Contributor

Re: "A Place to Call Home," the Australian Downton Abbey

I find it interesting but certainly not another Downton Abbey, in my humble opinion.

Frequent Contributor

I agree that "A Place to Call Home" is terrific, but not like Downton Abbey. I have watched every episode available on Acorn and can't wait for the next sesason. I love the characters, even the ones who are being really horrible. 

Two sets of actors in the show are married in real life. I don't want to say who because one could be considered a spoiler!

I enjoyed "The Heart Guy," but agree it's predictable. 

Did you try "800 Words"? That one was good.

I'll give "Where the Heart Is" a try, thanks for the recommendation.

Valued Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

I find it interesting but certainly not another Downton Abbey, in my humble opinion.

I agree "A Place to Call Home" can't compare to Downton Abbey but, when trying to describe it to people, it's the best way to explain what the show is like.  I was really sad when Downton Abbey ended, so it's nice to have enough interesting show to watch.

Regular Contributor

Is it in book form?  If so who is the author? 

Valued Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@sueeich wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I loved " A Place to .Call Home ", another good show on 

Acorn is " Where the Heart Is " .

Thanks!  I'll have to give that one of try.  I tried watching "The Heart Guy" but I found it too predictable:  hot shot heart surgeon who gets demoted to a GP in a small Austalian town out in the "sticks." 

Where the heart is takes place in a small town in Yorkshire. The main characters are nurses that work in the local health center and go to the patients homes. The town is populated with quirky and endearing characters, and most of the local males are on the town rugby team.

I just added "Where the Heart is" to my Watchlist!  I'll give this a try once I'm done with "A Place to Call Home."  Looking forward to it.  Looks like it's right up my alley!

Valued Contributor

@apple blossom wrote:

Is it in book form?  If so who is the author? 

Not that I'm aware.

Respected Contributor

@sueeichThanks! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's a very entertaining show with a solid cast and I love the period flavor of the show... Some of those clothes and cars are just wonderful... It's more or less a very well done soap, but it's good viewing.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...