Honored Contributor

"A PASSAGE TO INDIA" JUDY DAVIS, PEGGY ASHCROFT, VICTOR BANNERJEE SUNDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

Noon Eastern--  "A Passage to India"  Dame Peggy Ashcroft, Judy Davis, Victor Bannerjee, Alec Guinness, James Fox, Nigel Havers

A Sunday treat, gang.  Director David Lean's stately, senses-filling, depiction of British colonials smack up against the move for Indian independence, almost quivers with palpable heat and buried intensity.  It does E.M. Forster's famous novel proud.

It's the Twenties, and Judy Davis and her very sympathetic prospective mother-in-law (Peggy Ashcroft) travel to India to meet up with Judy's colonial civil servant-fiancee, cutie Nigel Havers.  Both women are then immersed in Indian affairs and culture, and a friendship is struck with a local doctor, (Victor Bannerjee).  

But then comes a fateful outing to view some geological marvel, some labyrinthine caves.  Something mysterious happens in those caves, resulting in Judy Davis's apparently hysterical accusation of rape against the hapless doctor.

Predictably, the community is riven by the affair, seething ethnic rivalries emerge, and events take on a life of their own...

Theatrical wonder of an actress Dame Peggy Ashcroft won Best Supporting Actress Oscar for this.  There were multiple Oscar nominations too, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actress for Judy Davis.  The other win for the movie was Best Musical Score, I think.

If you have an affinity for all the radiant Merchant-Ivory productions, you probably also love David Lean's "A Passage to India".   It's considered on a par with his landmark "Lawrence of Arabia".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmiLiwJjzGE

Honored Contributor

Re: "A PASSAGE TO INDIA" JUDY DAVIS, PEGGY ASHCROFT, VICTOR BANNERJEE SUNDAY NOON EASTERN

Oh my, I became breathless learning this would be on.  Thank you, oznell, and may the fairies of enlightenment continue to smile upon you and inspire your recommendations and synopses.

This film captures not only the panorama of a huge and colorful nation, but also captures the panorama of our souls.  Human nature is sensitively understood and explored by E.M. Forster.  I loved the novel but awoke to so much more in the motion picture derived from it.

When the call for "Mrs. Moore" reverberates throughout the universe (or so it seems), it is as though God is speaking. 

I had saved this movie several years ago but when I changed providers, it was lost.

To be reclaimed tomorrow (at least for now, right?).  Mrs. Moore!  Oznell! 

Respected Contributor

Re: "A PASSAGE TO INDIA" JUDY DAVIS, PEGGY ASHCROFT, VICTOR BANNERJEE SUNDAY NOON EASTERN

Great movie, great book!

Honored Contributor

I had forgotten that echoing cry "Mrs. Moore",  @golding76-- you're bang-on right!

Honored Contributor

When I remember, I aspire to be more like Mrs. Moore in my life.  She is a wondrous spirit.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you so much for letting us know about this movie - just put it on to record - love it.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I keep getting this movie mixed up w/the one starring Lana Turner.  Will have to catch this one since I've never seen it.

Love James Fox.  My 2 favorite movies starring James Fox is Day Of The Jackal.  He played an assassin.  I believe it was a true story.

The other is Edward &  Mrs Simpson.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I have seen this movie several times and have it  ready to be taped tomorrow.  The acting in this movie is superb, the settings excellent and the story line top shelf as they say!  How can you miss with Judy Davis, Dame Peggy Ashcroft, Alec Guinness, Nigel Havers and the rest of a cast of excellence.  You said it, Oznell, it's a Sunday treat and beyond!!!!!  

Take time for this movie, you won't be disappointed!

Honored Contributor

It has been about four years since I last viewed this film, but the great cry for "Mrs. Moore" from the perceived underclass during the trial struck me as a call for a figure/being endowed with enlightenment, fairness, wisdom and kindness to appear.  Mrs. Moore was such a transcendent human being.  The oppressed cried out for her return and the presence of rationality and unprejudiced thoughts in a trial that had devolved into chaos. 

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Oznell  I keep getting this movie mixed up w/the one starring Lana Turner.  Will have to catch this one since I've never seen it.

Love James Fox.  My 2 favorite movies starring James Fox is Day Of The Jackal.  He played an assassin.  I believe it was a true story.

The other is Edward &  Mrs Simpson.

Me too! I first "fell" for him as Chas in Performance  waaaay back in 1970. One of my favorite actors. Love watching him!