Honored Contributor

"A LIFE OF HER OWN" LANA TURNER RAY MILLAND WEDNESDAY 9:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Whoa-- how could I have missed this?  It's a whole satisfying jump into "Sudsville" today on TCM!  Glamour, romantic torment, cross purposes, the works!

9:45 a.m. Eastern-- "A Life of Her Own"  Lana Turner, Ray Milland, Barry Sullivan (sigh), Ann Dvorak, Tom Ewell, Louis Calhern

I've seen snippets of this and it's indeed soapy and absorbing.  Here's the priceless one sentence summary from the TCM site:

"An innocent small town girl climbs to the top of the modeling business, man by man."

Noon Eastern--  "Invitation"  Dorothy McGuire, Van Johnson, Ruth Roman

Surprisingly intense love story, in which a distraught father, who knows his daughter has limited time to live, "hires" a suitably hunky prospect (Johnson) to romance and marry her.  Blossoming feelings complicate the scheme.  This movie has fabulous production values-- clothes, sets, etc.

3:45 p.m. Eastern--  "The Young Philadelphians"  Paul Newman, Barbara Rush, Alexis Smith, Brian Keith

Romance, court drama, Paul Newman, Barbara Rush?  Enough said!

6:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Payment on Demand"  Bette Davis, Barry Sullivan (yay), Kent Taylor, Betty Lynn

Sobering treatment of a disintigrating society marriage, as a woman (Davis) reflects on what went wrong.  Interesting treatment, filled with flashbacks to the "better days" and with an ending that is not devoid of hope.  That, plus Barry Sullivan!

Gosh, sorry for the rush job.  Didn't notice these until just now.  Hope people are able to DVR, because these are great for a rainy afternoon, or anytime. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "A LIFE OF HER OWN" LANA TURNER RAY MILLAND WEDNESDAY 9:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Leave Her to Heaven, is on now 8:35.  Love this show. FXM Retro.  Then to TCM.  Thanks.  Love the good movies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  You are officially my TV Guide. Thank you for always keeping us in the loop. ❤️👍

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell You are the best! Thank you!
Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

@Oznell  You are officially my TV Guide. Thank you for always keeping us in the loop. ❤️👍

I agree!👍

Honored Contributor

Catching "Invitation" with lunch.  I'd forgotten how scheming Ruth Roman is in this, as the "spurned" woman.  I've always liked her, very fire-and-ice...

Honored Contributor

Terrific lineup of some wonderful movies!  I will DVR what I can to keep me company on a rainy day as you said, Oznell!  

I usually go through the movies on TCM and check out what's ahead.  I could fill my DVR but I also have other shows I tape.  However, I always find shows on TCM which catch my interest and whether or not I have seen them, I know I will enjoy!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I have never heard of the first two movies, but am interested.  No one more dramatic than Lana. Smiley Happy  I will look around for an inexpensive dvd because, as you know, I don't have TMC.

Contributor

Darn, I hope some of these are on Demand, I love the soapy old movies!!

Honored Contributor

If they're not On Demand, @mousiegirl and @D5799, at least "Payment on Demand" (the Bette Davis one) is available streaming free online:

https://ok.ru/video/259925609123