Honored Contributor

"A KISS BEFORE DYING" ROBERT WAGNER, JOANNE WOODWARD SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Getting this alert in a day early, in hopes that our classic suspense and noir fans don't miss this infrequently aired gem!

Saturday, 4:00 p.m. Eastern--  "A Kiss Before Dying"   Robert Wagner, Joanne Woodward, Virginia Leith, Jeffrey Hunter, Mary Astor, George Macready

Highly atmospheric, toxically juicy Fifties film noir, filmed in lurid color (somewhat unusual for a noir.)  It's an adaptation of an Ira Levin ("Rosemary's Baby", "The Stepford Wives") suspense novel.

Robert Wagner is the spoiled college student son of doting mom Mary Astor.  It soon becomes clear he is more than that--  he's a sociopathic charmer who has wormed his way into fellow student Joanne Woodward's affections, in order to get at her mining tycoon father's (George Macready) vast fortune.  When events seem to thwart his plans, he does not hesitate to take drastic, amoral action....

As you can imagine, Robert Wagner-- polished, Adonis-like, is eerily perfect in this role.  When Joanne is no longer a viable love interest, he is able to equally mesmerize her beautiful, unsuspecting sister (Virginia Leith.)  Luckily, there are those around her, including a college tutor, (another handsome newcomer, Jeffrey Hunter, here in "Clark Kent" mode) who slowly begin to unravel the diabolical schemes afoot...

Fab, quintessentially Fifties production values, gang--  locations, art direction, sets, clothes, cars.  It's eye candy, amid the mayhem!

(In addition to all the other elements, I love all the hot, bright desert and mountain location shooting of the magnificent Southwest....) 

Honored Contributor

Re: "A KISS BEFORE DYING" ROBERT WAGNER, JOANNE WOODWARD SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I just watched this last week. Forget what channel!  Excellent movie. Wagner was great, a real slimeball. I loved this movie and the girl's car is the same car I used to drive, lol! I wish I had it back.Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: "A KISS BEFORE DYING" ROBERT WAGNER, JOANNE WOODWARD SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Also wanted to say your review was spot on. And the Clark Kent comment? I said as much to DH when "Clark" was in that phonebooth out in the desert or somewhere, lol. "He looks like Clark Kent!" 

Honored Contributor

Excellent vehicle for these 2 newcomers, loved it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Great movie - thanks for the alert!   RW and JW were so young, and RW was so good at being evil!  Loved the fifties' clothes and the sister's home.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I look forward to seeing this movie based on your comments, Oznell !!!  I love fifties atmosphere movies and I'm sure the settings will reflect that time perfectly.  Thanks for the heads up and my DVR is set!!!!

Respected Contributor

Thanks.  I set the DVR.  Saw that Gone With the Wind is on from 10pm to 2am tonight.  I'm recording that to.  Probably won't have time to watch them, though.  .... I'm getting ready for a move in about a week, and, although I'll be back a few times before it's all final, my community is changing cable providers, and I'll have to return the DVR to Comcast.  Oh well!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for heads up. Always appreciate your posts

Oznell.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for the reminder. I had set my DVR for that movie and  2 movies prior to that one. I forgot that I set it. At 12:00 The Adventures Of Robin Hood and then Dark Passage. Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland and more. Dark Passage was ok but you can't beat HB, LB and Agnes Moorhead as the cast. My DVR will be on fire. Who knows when I'll get to watch them but I will watch A Kiss Before Dying sooner rather than later. Thanks again.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazing Joanne Woodward is still living - 89.