Honored Contributor

"23 PACES TO BAKER STREET" VAN JOHNSON VERA MILES WEDNESDAY 9:40 A.M. EASTERN FOX MOVIE CHANNEL

9:40 a.m. Eastern, Fox Movie Channel    "23 Paces to Baker Street"   Van Johnson, Vera Miles, Cecil Parker, Patricia Laffan

Flash alert for the few, perhaps, who have not yet discovered this terrific thriller!   Fox Movie Channel (258 on my DirecTV system) frequently recycles it, but it's one that is well worth the repetition.

Van Johnson is an embittered, newly blind, successful American playwright, living in London to help produce his latest play.  His former personal assistant and fiancee, (Vera Miles) shows up, obviously still in love with him, but he's very closed off.  He overhears an odd conversation, open to sinister interpretation, in his favorite pub, and ends up enlisting her and his devoted houseman, (Cecil Parker) in a desperate attempt to fend off a potential kidnapping or murder....

This is a pitifully minimal and capsule description of a really good thriller with lots of atmosphere.  I just want to get the alert out there for anyone who wants to catch the film at 9:40!  A must for Anglophiles and lovers of suspense!

Honored Contributor

Re: "23 PACES TO BAKER STREET" VAN JOHNSON VERA MILES WEDNESDAY 9:40 A.M. EASTERN FOX MOVI

@Oznell  I loved this movie. Just saw it recently so I'll wait awhile to see it again. Reminded me of a Hitchcock, was it? I don't recall.

Honored Contributor

Re: "23 PACES TO BAKER STREET" VAN JOHNSON VERA MILES WEDNESDAY 9:40 A.M. EASTERN FOX MOVI

Spot on, @Judaline --  almost described it as "Hitchcockian" in my alert!

Honored Contributor

Thanks Oznell, I just put it on the DVR .  I have seen it before but when a movie draws you in, it is always worth watching again.  I love the settings in this one too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well Oznell, I was all set to watch" 23 Paces to Baker Street". But there were several errands to do today. And then since I missed the movie I went grocery shopping and out to lunch too.

WELL! I had the Fox Movie Channel on the TV because I had been set to watch "23 Paces to Baker Street". I happened to just watch the movie "Fate is the Hunter". Was that interesting. I missed the beginning but in the movie Glenn Ford was an investigator for an airline and they were trying to figure out why a plane crashed. And many people were quick to blame pilot error because there was alot of initial chatter about the pilot was unconventional.

Spoiler
Glenn Ford was asked to submit his resignation because his testimony didn't go well, with the prosecution or the airline company. But before he resigned he recreated the exact conditions and flew a plane. And made sure everything was exactly the same as the ill fated plane. A stewardess was the only survivor and she helped in the recreation. It turned out that a cup of coffee spilled and shorted out a control panel. I could not help but think portions of the movie were true.

It was so interesting. And if it wasn't for you recommending "23 Paces to Baker Street", I never would have encountered this movie. I never heard of it before. And Glenn Ford isn't exactly a favorite of mine since he didn't treat Eleanor Powell well. But I did like his performance.

Thank you, Oznell. Keep the recommendations coming. 

Honored Contributor

That's amazing @drizzellla --  I've got "Fate is the Hunter" recorded from the last time it was shown!  Haven't watched it yet b/c  I thought it would be a good one to save for hubby to see, since it has an aviation theme.   Good to hear you liked it!

By the way, FMC is re-airing "23 Paces..."  tomorrow a.m. at 7:40....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

That's amazing @drizzellla --  I've got "Fate is the Hunter" recorded from the last time it was shown!  Haven't watched it yet b/c  I thought it would be a good one to save for hubby to see, since it has an aviation theme.   Good to hear you liked it!

By the way, FMC is re-airing "23 Paces..."  tomorrow a.m. at 7:40....

I think both you and your husband will enjoy the movie. Thanks for the heads up about tomorrow.  Once again I will set the TV for "23 Paces to Baker Street".

How do you find the schedule for Fox Movie Channel Retro? I go to the web site and the schedule starts at 8 PM.  I can not find the schedule for Fox Movie Retro.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much for the heads-up.  I just recorded 23 Baker Street for tomorrow morning.  Oznell, what would we do without you????  You are a treasure..... Thanks again....

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

...  A must for Anglophiles and lovers of suspense!

The sentence above fits me to a "T," and I have always liked Van Johnson in films.

Unfortunately, I don't have Fox Movie Channel. This sounds like one I would like, and I can't remember TCM ever showing it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, @drizzellla, you've got me there.  Here's how the Fox Movie Channel works in my area.  In the morning, up until the afternoon-- until 3:00 p.m. Eastern, to be exact--  they show their vintage 20th Century Fox films (Fox retro?).  Then from 3:00 p.m. Eastern onwards to early morning, they show their recent (modern) films.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like that formula might be reversed in your area?  Does your TV not have a guide to it that you can click onto?  Sorry not to be of help-- maybe someone else here knows and can tell us?

Oh, I just checked your post again-- it doesn't sound like you have a different schedule than I do, just that for some reason, you can't click onto a guide for the earlier part of the day?  Is that it?  Gosh I'm probably making this more confusing!