Honored Contributor

@Oznell     You ever seen that movie, the original movie, of Hairspray ?

Got 'Divine' in it and Ricki Lake. I've watched it dozen times, probably.

Sonny Bono in it too.  Good movie.  Based in the 60's.

Honored Contributor

Divine was a hairdresser here in Baltimore when John Waters discovered him!!

Esteemed Contributor

This movie was awesome. Loved it. Classic entertainment. Great cast. 

Honored Contributor

Haven't seen the original but the remake with John Travolta and Christopher Walken.  Rented the DVD and watched it more than once.  Thoroughly enjoyable, especially their duet!!

Esteemed Contributor

The remake starring Travolta is not nearly as good as John Waters 1988 version. Not the acting, the songs, and definitely not the dancing.  I love love love the It's Madison Time dance scene in the original.  It was choreographed authentically to how I remember seeing folks doing the dance which was huge in R&B circles (circa 1960).  Ricki Lake is outstanding as Tracy Turnblad.  The entire cast which included stars Divine, Sonny Bono, Debbie Harry, Jerry Stiller, Ric Ocasek (from the band The Cars), and R&B legend Ruth Brown.  Look for a young Josh Charles (The Good Wife) in the the Corny Collins Show scenes.  One of the best highlights for me was seeing Toussaint McCall performing his fabulous "one hit wonder" Nothing Takes the Place of You. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Hi, @SharkE, thanks for asking.  I haven't seen any of John Waters' movies.  Some of my friends were bonkers over him, and saw everything he directed, loved "Divine" etc.  

Some Sixties nostalgia stuff is fun, agreed.  But I could never get interested in the films he's made.  I've found him briefly amusing in an interview, but have to say that for me, a little of him goes a long way....

Honored Contributor

This one isn't that crazy kooky stuff he was known for later on.

More about segregation break throughs, etc.

She was a plump person back then with heart of gold and how she won dancing contests up against thinner, prettier people, etc.

Her boyfriend is a dead ringer for Elvis ! I mean he should've played Elvis he could be his son, easy.  That little blonde haired boy was a swell dancer !

He was the best one of the cast. He's seen at the first of the movie.

That kid could move. I was watching it from my recumbent bike gave me

encouragement ! LOL

photo13-vi.gif 

Respected Contributor

Loved the original Hairspray ... didn't like the re-make ...

Also liked John's movie .. Cry Baby .. with Johnny Depp ...

Very campy .....Rickie Lake in that one too .....

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   John Waters movies are not your cup of tea!  Mine either but Hairspray is the only "normal" one.  Divine plays Tracy Turnbull's mother.  It is a take off of American Bandstand.  The music is good and the dancing, too.  You might enjoy it.  It's the only one of his movies that I enjoyed.  All the others are a little too much for me.

He is a character for sure!  I like him personally and he is Baltimore's own!  A true camp, a lot of fun.  Most of his characters are based on a section called Hampden and every year there is a Honfest.  This will explain about a Bawlmer Hon!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HonFest

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS453&q=baltimore+hon&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahU...

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle   Hey, HON!