Honored Contributor

hello everyone!

i was doing some channel searching and found the old mini-series CENTENNIAL on the STARZ westerns encore channel if anyone gets the channel.

this was shown in 1978 in 12 parts. the 70s and the 80s.....the best mini-series came out during this period of time.

Episode 1 is tonight......"only the rocks live forever"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_%28miniseries%29

A remarkably ambitious and engrossing project, this 1978 television miniseries ran 26-and-a-half hours, cost a then-enormous $25 million, and involved 4 directors, 5 cinematographers, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 speaking parts. Based on James Michener's panoramic bestseller about the settling of the American West--as reflected in the history of a fictional town called Centennial, Colorado--the story begins in the late 18th century and ends with a typical 20th century conflict over land usage. Centennial, however, largely concentrates on various memorable frontiersmen, trappers, Indians, ranchers, cowboys, and farmers from long ago. Richard Chamberlain shines as the pioneer Alexander McKeag, Robert Conrad does some of his best work as French-Canadian Pasquinel, and performances by Alex Karras, Chad Everett, Sally Kellerman, Raymond Burr, Richard Crenna, David Janssen, and Dennis Weaver effectively add to a tapestry of adventure, tragedy, violence, and dubious Western progress. Produced at a time when TV networks were in the throes of acknowledging America's history of racial injustice, the program paints a starkly villainous portrait of opportunists exploiting and destroying Indians in the name of manifest destiny. While the project's great length might make one wary of diving in, Centennial is the sort of carefully paced drama that makes one care about the intertwined destinies of unique characters and how they illuminate America's past.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: old mini-series CENTENNIAL

Oh, bummer, not a channel I get!

I remember I had the series of books back in the day too.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio I get (I think every channel) I think I remember seeing East and West channels.  I do get Starz.  I'll look it up.  Thanks for taking the time to post what it is about.

I kind of remember Richard Chamberlain in this.  Again, thanks.

Honored Contributor

I love this mini series! I read the book, and although we didn't see it on TV, we bought the VHS set about 25 years ago (I think). When the kids were younger, I had this bright idea about "Saturday family night" during the cold winter months. I think DS was in middle school at the time. Since we had enjoyed it so much, we thought they would too. So we would have dinner and sit down to watch one or two episodes. It didn't last. DD lost interest after the first one, and DS - even though he always enjoyed history - didn't really get into it.

We still have it. Maybe during the summer DH and I can watch it on weekends. We'll just have to get a DVD version of it now!

I had kind of a "crush" on Jacques Pasquinel and the actor who played him. I always looked for him in shows we watched through the years. Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

This is a favorite of DH and myself. We finally bought it on DVD. Years ago the tapes cost a fortune and some were lost at our public library. We read the book also. We were so glad to buy the dvd.

I was a fan of 'Dr. Kildare' (Richard Chamberlain) from the begining and loved his tv versions of 3 Musketeers (sp?) etc. --You have to be a 'geezer' probably to know what I am talking about.

We noticed like most mini-series that the first few episodes are the best. It is good all through though.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45, I have this whole set and take it out during the winter months and watch it all. I did it last year. Felt good. Now we have net flix, so we'll see how that goes. This year I may do the whole kit and kaboodle of "Frazier". Loved that too.

I watched this for thr 3rd time last week. Still hard to keep up with some things. I don't remember a few of the ones who disappeared. Did it show Mercy dying? What happened to his wife. Any info I'd appreciate. 

Zendt's son went to Wyoming and never returned. Jim Lloyd had a daughter that the sheep herder's Son married? If so, I never heard or saw her. I'm confused you can see.