Valued Contributor

Re: most powerful movie you've ever seen

So many from which to choose but 'Unbroken' was quite powerful for me.  The forgiveness of that man toward those who tortured him unmercifully was beyond awesome to me.       docsgirl

Honored Contributor

Without question, the MOST powerful movie I've seen was The Passion of The Christ.  Schindler's List was very powerful, but not to the same degree.  I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for others to watch.  I'm interested in seeing Taking Chance now.  

Honored Contributor

susielong wrote:

Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour.

I agree with you about this one!   If others haven't seen this movie, find it and watch.     I don't want to spoil anything about it, but it's truly amazing.

I also agree with others about 'Sophie's Choice'.  Wow - Every single thing about this piece is brilliant, starting with Meryl Streep's performance (like, times a million!!) and Kevin Kline's as well.  But the story is just beyond comprehension.     I cannot remember but she must have won an Academy Award for her performance.  If she didn't, she got robbed!

I also like the afore-mentioned 'Shawshank Redemption'.  That is one of my top 5 favorite all time movies.  Great performances by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins.   Awesome story from top to bottom.   I didn't even know it was a Stephen King piece until well after the first time I had seen it.

'Papillon' was another movie that was truly amazing and impactful for me.  Also, 'Silkwood'.   Two more of my all-time favorite movies.  Smiley Happy  I have a promo pic from Papillon that was signed by Steve McQueen.  What a treasure.

Honored Contributor

JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Without question, the MOST powerful movie I've seen was The Passion of The Christ.  Schindler's List was very powerful, but not to the same degree.  I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for others to watch.  I'm interested in seeing Taking Chance now.  

JLF - I just did a search for you, for 'Taking Chance'.  It was an HBO movie and highly recommended.  Anyway, my Tivo search found that Amazon Prime has it for streaming, so if you have Prime you can watch it for free.

The last time I saw this movie (I've seen it a few times) on HBO I actually saved it in the 'deleted' folder of one of my Tivos.  It's still there, a couple of years later.  I cannot bring myself to delete it permanently in case I want to watch again.  Smiley Happy

If you don't have Prime, and you have the capability with your cable or Tivo, you can put in a search to have it record, or whatever, when it comes to HBO again.  It airs from time to time.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  Thanks.  We don't get HBO, but maybe it's the On Demand.  

Respected Contributor

Dances with Wolves.  Love the story, the acting, the music, the scenery and the horses.

Esteemed Contributor

Schindlers List.  

Honored Contributor

Roots

Dances With Wolves

Radio Flyer

Saving Private Ryan

Philadelphia

Still Alice

Midnight Express

To name a few!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This may be odd but for me it was Purple Rain.  As a young kid in the midst of their parents' bitter divorce it was the exact message I needed that I didn't have to become my parents and repeat their mistakes.  

Respected Contributor

Dances with Wolves

Legends of the Fall

Inception

-Texas Hill Country-