Trusted Contributor

rents here have jumped to record highs and now some apartment buildings and landlords are adding to high rents by adding what they call a media fee.  it is a fee ,usually $150.00) per month added to the basic rent for the concept that you can hookup to phone, internet and tv. this in addition to the cost of the service from your provider. so besides your rent,  and the service, there is an additional charge that goes to the landlord

Honored Contributor

I hope your landlord has not added this fee to your monthly expenses.

Honored Contributor

If someone tried this with me I'd be seeing a landlord-tenant attorney to see if this is legal.

I'd also be checking my lease to see if it's legal.

Respected Contributor

That is crazy!  Where do you live?

What the market will bear . . .  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

i agree with you.  but people have bwecome very greedy and will try to charge for just about anything.  i had a pizza place try to charge me $1.50 for takeout box    when i said no, they tried to give me the pizza ona piece of parchment paper.  i told them to keep it and walked out.

theuy are tyring to get fees anyway that they can today

Trusted Contributor

i own my home so it is not a problem.  my cousin was lookingfor a place to rent and that is how i found out about it

i am in salt lake city utah and people here have bec ome very greedy when it comes to rents and such

Honored Contributor

I would check with the FCC because you cannot be blocked from having access to certain services which is what it sounds like would be happening if you didn't pay the fee. 

Honored Contributor
I have only heard of this fee if the landlord has negotiated a group rate with a service provider and this fee includes your Internet and cable/satellite. If you want a more premium service (extra channels) that would be additional.
Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I have only heard of this fee if the landlord has negotiated a group rate with a service provider and this fee includes your Internet and cable/satellite. If you want a more premium service (extra channels) that would be additional.

This would make sense.  I hope that's the case because $150 just for the "opportunity" to then pay more for cable/internet is baloney!

Honored Contributor

That's BS & there should be a law against it. I would not rent from those places. Better yet buy a home & keep your money instead of giving it to someone else.

I'm so sick of all the GREED going on in this world. It literally makes me sick.