Respected Contributor

Re: kathie Lee on Today's Talk with Hoda

[ Edited ]

I watched Regis and KL for many years and although I am very sorry for the loss of Frank Gifford, I have to agree with others that Kathie Lee is indeed a fanatic about her fame.  The whole time she was on the show with Regis, it was always all about her.  I really like Hoda, who was a newscaster here in the New Orleans area for some time. But in spite of her recent loss, I have never had a lot of respect for Kathie Lee. I don't watch their show for that reason. When and how she returns to work has nothing to do with my feelings, which are just mine - nothing more.

Honored Contributor

Everyone grieves at their own pace. To say maybe they weren't close is unfair to her. Her first day back was heartbreaking and she handled it with such poise and class. Working gives you something to keep your mind off your sadness. I'm sure nights are the hardest for her. I wish her and her family well. 

Respected Contributor

Since that first week she has not been on. The shows were pre taped or had other hosts.

Maybe she just felt it was better/easier to return for a short bit and then take time off.

Any loss like that is a huge shock to the system and people react differently. 

From all appearances they were a devoted couple.

New Contributor

Very upsetting that you are so hateful to someone based on how you see something, you have no idea how she feels... That was just an awful thing to say!

Valued Contributor

I don't think it was hateful at all! I wondered the same thing as the OP.  When my husband of 47 years died very suddenly, it was a shock to me and our five children. I held strong for them. I did return to work six weeks later, but I needed the money, unlike Kathie Lee.

I do agree we all grieve in our own way. I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve, and maybe she is the same. However, having said that, my job didn't involve cavorting around a stage, giggling and drinking wine as if nothing ever happened.

Honored Contributor

They showed her and Hoda at one of the tennis matches today.   I agree ...we all grieve differently.

Honored Contributor

Some people do their best to keep things normal for the kids and do their grieving in private.    

I think it's presumptuous to assume you know how Kathie Lee is handling this huge loss.

Honored Contributor

What nonsense from the OP.

KLG's kids are young adults. She does not need to be home for them or anyone else.  She can grieve at her own pace.  When you marry a person 20+ years older than you death can come.  I would imagine they prepared for this time.

Should she sit home alone?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone grieves in their own way but grief counselors warn that not going back to work makes the grief worse and can tend to isolate the person grieving.  Most will have their moments during the day but life has to go on and forcing yourselve to get on with life is hard but that doesn't mean that you don't grieve heavily in the privacy of your own home!!   If she were a fame and publicity hound she would make the most if it by boohooing all over the place.  Friends are sympathetic but when someone isolates themselves by too much grieving for too long, friends become uncomfortable and unsure of how to act around them.   I know for me - well I'm such a private person that I want life to be as normal as soon as possible and keep my personal grief to myself and would never want to make my friends uncomfortable around me .  

Respected Contributor

It seems like Frank's health was declining based on a few things she's said. He didn't look well at all the last time she showed a picture of him. And KL is a Christian with strong faith. It's still hard but as others have said, best to be busy if you can.