Honored Contributor

Re: gilmore girls thoughts.....

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@sunshine45 Nope, not just you... I wanted her with Rory's dad... I thought the few times they hooked up they had good chemistry and I liked them together... Like you, I thought they should've kept Luke as a BFF, but not a romantic thing. As for Rory, I too sort of hoped she'd end up back with Dean... I still haven't seen the reboot, but it's impossible not to know how it all landed and since I know, I'm thinking I might skip the reboot altogether and just stick with the occasional rerun...

@stevieb

exactly how i felt......i wanted her to get back with christopher. i even liked lorelei better with digger or max rather than luke. i think the vast majority of fans wanted lorelei and luke together though.

the BEST parts of the reboot were the scenes between lorelei and emily.

@sunshine45 If that's the case about the reboot, then I'll have to check it out. I loved Emily... Probably true about audience preference, but I never saw the appeal of a Luke and Lorelei pairing... I liked them better together before they were, well, together...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't want Luke and Lorelie together either. Especially not after he lied to her about April and shut her out of his life. I wasn't happy at all the way they played out the story with Christopher. And Jason, I loved her with Jason. It was completely stupid that they broke up because she was mad that he sued her father and Richard did what he did with the business. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@sunshine45 Nope, not just you... I wanted her with Rory's dad... I thought the few times they hooked up they had good chemistry and I liked them together... Like you, I thought they should've kept Luke as a BFF, but not a romantic thing. As for Rory, I too sort of hoped she'd end up back with Dean... I still haven't seen the reboot, but it's impossible not to know how it all landed and since I know, I'm thinking I might skip the reboot altogether and just stick with the occasional rerun...

ITA, I loved her with Christopher and I was mad when they wrote the whole Sherry pregnancy issue in, but the final blow was the completely stupid cause of her divorce. 

I was a Logan fan all the way though. 

Respected Contributor

I have also seen all 7 seasons in order multiple times.  I haven't seen the Netflix thing, but I'm glad she ended up with Luke.  He was one of her best friends; isn't that who you're supposed to be with Smiley Happy  (Even though she had more on-screen romantic chemistry with everyone but Luke lol)  I did not like Christopher at all.  When they are rerunning the episodes with him, I don't watch them anymore.  I've seen them so many times, and I don't enjoy them.

I also did not like Jess at all.  I think I'm in the minority as someone who really liked Logan best.  

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I have also seen all 7 seasons in order multiple times.  I haven't seen the Netflix thing, but I'm glad she ended up with Luke.  He was one of her best friends; isn't that who you're supposed to be with Smiley Happy  (Even though she had more on-screen romantic chemistry with everyone but Luke lol)  I did not like Christopher at all.  When they are rerunning the episodes with him, I don't watch them anymore.  I've seen them so many times, and I don't enjoy them.

I also did not like Jess at all.  I think I'm in the minority as someone who really liked Logan best.  

Yes, you should be with your BFF. But true best friends are able to tell each other everything and don't hide that they found out they have a kid. After all friendship is built on trust. Trust means you don't have to be a jealous child and worry that your kid will like your BFF better. 

Honored Contributor

you can have more than one BFF.....males and/or females......but you dont necessarily have to get married to any particular one. there is a lot more that goes into a relationship than being friends. i thought that luke and lorelei made good friends....they were not necessarily always great confidants though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm all for the Luke and Lorelei pairing. Other than Emily's evolution after Richard's death I felt like it was one of the only things the writers did halfway right in the revival. I liked the other guys (Christopher, Jason, & Max) but no one shared a bond the way L&L did. Stars Hollow was a huge part of both of their lives and something neither wanted to give up. The other three guys were never going to be a part of that the way Luke was. He was there for Lorelei and was there Rory throughout her whole life--the father she needed when Chris couldn't be bothered to care. Lorelei's letter, the character reference to the judge, was so beautifully written and heartfelt. Chris was right when he read it to know that Lorelei would never be done with Luke. The party he threw for Rory when she left for her job to work on the political campaign and Lorelei singing "I Will Always Love You" to Luke were just a part of their great romance.

My feeling as to who Rory ended up with in the end changes from the series' ending to the ending of the revival. I liked all the guys (Dean, Jess, & Logan) but by the end of the revival I couldn't have cared less who she ended up with--other than Jess who ironically turned out to be too good for her. It's a toss up for me as either of the two cheaters, Dean or Logan,  would have been her equal. After seven seasons of seeing her potential and ambition she turned out to be such a disappointment. Maybe her one night Wookiee stand would be as good as any or her boyfriend of three years whose name she could never seem to remember (hey Rory, it's Paul!). 

I'm sorry to sound so negative but what happened to the great writing of  Amy Sherman and David Palladino? I so loved the series that when people kept saying the revival was a disaster I just knew they couldn't have been true fans. How could anything Gilmore be less than amazing? Turns out they were right. The best thing about the revival for me was that it got me started with Netflix. At least something good came from it!

Sometimes I wonder if there will ever be more since they left a lot of things unsaid. And as bad as I thought it was there were good parts too. I mean, if you're as much of a fan as me (and I think many of you are) just seeing the characters again was a cause for happiness. Still, I'm torn. If they do another revival and redeem the golden girl a bit (I'm not talking about making her perfect but at least not leaving her portrayed as such a low-life) then I'm all for it. If it would be just more of the same, complete with an ill-fitting musical as a "sorry about Bunheads" nod to the multi-talented Sutton Foster, then maybe it's better to let it rest.

Honored Contributor

just a heads up.....

the UP channel is doing another gilmore girls marathon for the week of thanksgiving. it begins on monday, 11/20/17.every episode being shown. 10 am et.

"gilmore the merrier"....it will be hosted by michel (yanic truesdale)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 I think you've presented my views almost exactly, although I never saw much chemistry between Luke and Lorelai.  

I never watched the show in real time, but was introduced to it on DVD when I was recovering from surgery.  I was so invested in the characters that I was overjoyed when Netflix gave us new episodes only to be disappointed in the content.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marsha2003, If you have to spend time laid up after a surgery the Gilmore Girls are a great distraction. I really love the show and I hope you're all healed now!

I agree with you about your chemistry comment which got me thinking about all of Luke and Lorelai's relationships. I actually can't think of one where there was any true passion. Attraction, yes, but that "I can't make it through another minute without you" kind of thing--no. 

I reread my first post and it dawned on me that's why I used the word "bond." I think she had a bond with Christopher too (first love & Rory) but there was always something coming between them, and in the end, that something was Luke. It was like Chris was her past and Luke is her future.

Luke and Lorelei had one of those relationships that starts out as friends and builds out of mutual respect and caring. They had feelings for each other from the very beginning, and all throughout the series, but they never acted on them. I think part of it was that neither one wanted to risk losing the friendship in case it didn't work out. Their daily encounters would become so awkward and then there's the let down of knowing what they always thought "could have been" wasn't. It seemed like once they realized no one else would measure up they finally went for it. When Lorelai sang "I Will Always Love You" to Luke it seemed like they both knew that was it. That's why I think of theirs as a great romance, not sparks, but an eternal flame. Sorry, I know it's corny but I couldn't resist the Bangles reference, lol!