Honored Contributor

Ann Margaret was the guest on the Jack Benny Show on Friday night. The show was from 1961. Two years before Bye Bye Birdie. And she really had quite a stage presence. You could see why they picked her for Bye Bye Birdie.

Esteemed Contributor

Loved this movie.  The cast was terrific with one exception, Conrad!!!  I think they could have found someone a bit better, more Elvis like.  Watching ****** van ****** perform is always entertaining.   And, Ann Margaret was perfect for the role!!!  Bobby Rydell was a very good Hugo!!!  And, Mama was just so funny.

Esteemed Contributor

I love this film also and can watch it frequently. 

The one mistake,  I think, was not using the Broadway Rosie, Chita Rivera.  Columbia Pictures insisted on Janet Leigh, hugely popular at the time.  I love her work in general, but find her miscast here.

Charles Strouse, the Birdie composer, argued against Leigh and called it one of Hollywood's great casting errors. 

Unfortunately,  Chita was never considered movie material and rarely had the opportunity to shine on film.

Respected Contributor

@catter70 

Thanks for posting that Bye Bye Birdie was on. I used my DVR to record it and watched it this afternoon. I enjoyed it again. Great cast and fun movie. Brings back childhood memories. Ann Margret is so beautiful and a great dancer!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Ann Margaret was the guest on the Jack Benny Show on Friday night. The show was from 1961. Two years before Bye Bye Birdie. And she really had quite a stage presence. You could see why they picked her for Bye Bye Birdie.

I think it was Benny who pretty much discovered her, her first role was Bette Davis daughter in Pocketful of Miracles in 1961.  Then in State Fair with Bobby Darin. She was a tad too old to play Kim in BBB, but she did a great jog dancing in Lotta Livin to Do. BTW, she says she and Rydell are still good friends to this day. 

Honored Contributor

It was a fun movie for its time;  and really tongue-in-cheek about Conrad.

It had to play that way.

We lost TCM when we downgraded and I do miss that channel; but it's not worth paying extra to add it back.

I would probably watch it again, though.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh